Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#38784 - 01/29/07 06:58 AM Is this the best book to buy?
RedSpawn Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hello all.

First, thanks for saving me $100! I was getting ready to buy the Finally Free hair 'remover' and stumbled across this site. Needless to say, y'all enlightened me quite a bit. \:\)

On to my question...

So, if I do decide to self electrocute myself, ;\) is this the best book to get?

COSMETIC AND MEDICAL ELECTROLYSIS AND TEMPORARY HAIR REMOVAL by R.N. Richards, M.D., G.E. Meharg, R.N

Are there additional books or resources available that you would recommend in addition to or instead of the above book?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
#38791 - 01/29/07 03:22 PM Re: Is this the best book to buy? [Re: RedSpawn]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
I would recommend both that book and "The Blend Method: Real World Electrology" by Michael Bono, which is available through Texas Electrolysis Supply. If you read both of those, you should be able to avoid the worst mistakes. Of course, you will still come to the conclusion that finding a partner to both learn and trade work on is better, than working on yourself, and you will conclude that finding a good practitioner to work on you would be the best (as well as have a larger appreciation for what they actually do and the skills they must hone) and you will be better capable of doing something that will both work, and not have so many negative results.

#38798 - 01/29/07 07:21 PM Re: Is this the best book to buy? [Re: James W. Walker VII]
NoHair Offline
Top Ten Contributor

I am a successful DIYer and I did not come to either of these conclusions.

You'd think there would be a moderator for the DIY section to limit spam for professionals.

#38800 - 01/29/07 08:51 PM Re: Is this the best book to buy? [Re: NoHair]

Top 10 Contributor

If that is what that was, you seem to be doing a great job of following any post anyone makes saying that self workers find it frustrating with your statements that you found it to be a breeze.

Of course, enough people have posted that they did spend their money, and give up after very little work was attempted.

#38802 - 01/29/07 09:34 PM Re: Is this the best book to buy? [Re: James W. Walker VII]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Many of my clients come to me because they thought about trying or have tried to do electrolysis on themself and gave up after they found what a ridiculous amount of time they were spending in doing so and they were not even sure if they were affecting the hair. Also, the flimsy apparatus they were sold, fell apart.

This is one of those things in life where there are only a few talented people per 100,000 that can actually make a slam dunk with self-electrolysis. I won't mention the scarring that results when people screw up. I won't mention how depressed and hopeless they feel when they try and fail.

If anyone wants to try DIY'ing, we have graciously given mini-instructions here on hairtell and have recommended books and principles over and over again, but I think it is fair to caution the newbie's on what they may be getting themself into as well. ELECTROLYSIS IS NOT AN EASY ART AND SKILL TO MASTER ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE DOING IT ON YOURSELF, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE INFERIOR EQUIPMENT and people should be told that. If anyone wants to poo-poo the above capitalized comment, they are certainly welcome to carry on and do it themself. At least we attempt to be honest here.

NoHair, I am very proud of your talent for DYI'ing and you have been very helpful to many consumers. I don't think we will ever know how many people were and are as successful as you with this, but judging by the clients who come to me for help, it does appear that many are frustrated with their DIY attempts and are embarrassed to show me the results (scarring).
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest.

#38814 - 01/30/07 05:20 AM Re: Is this the best book to buy? [Re: dfahey]
NoHair Offline
Top Ten Contributor

The "Be patient and achieve all things" mantra seems contradictory to James conclusions that a DIY will certainly fail and eventually go to a Pro.

I think it proper to inform and warn. Many can not develop the competency to DIY and those may turn to a Pro. Those that are satisfied with DIY may not visit a pro to become a statistic in the purported facts.

I for one would not be hair free in those areas that I am now if it were not for DIY. I try to share what I know to help others in the same situation. They may fail and may never visit a pro. I found DIY such a godsend that I spend time here trying to help others that seek the same satisfaction. I find it tiresome for Pros to visit the DIY section and propose that DIY is pretty much impossible when I am aware of others who have had success.

I'm not trying to make enemies or start a war. Just stating the facts as truthfully as I can.

#38817 - 01/30/07 06:25 AM Re: Is this the best book to buy? [Re: RedSpawn]
RedSpawn Offline

I found wisdom in each of your replies. Thank you for sharing. If I do decide to do this I plan on building my unit based on the unit made on the hairfreethere web page everyone recommends. That should remedy the issues with using crappy equipment.

I can understand how many would become disillusioned when starting with it. Especially if they think it will be easy. One thing this site does very well is explain that it really isn't easy to do yourself. So, knowing that, I can anticipate the workload involved and can mentally prepare myself for it.

The big appeal to me on the DIY idea is the fact that my spouse and I can do areas on each other that we wouldn't be comfortable with someone else doing. Another nice thing is the much lower cost. It seems to me that having it done professionally would require a large financial commitment. DIY requires a large time and learning curve commitment. Some people can do the latter and some can not.

Myself, if I'm determined to do something, I can make it happen. It seems like the whole DIY/Professional debate comes down to knowing and being honest with yourself. If oodles of money was no problem for me, I'd be happy to pay someone else to do it. \:\)

While it is true that it would be faster if a professional did it, it will still take quite a bit of time and a professionals time has to be paid for.

How much would you say it would cost on average for a professional to remove the hair on a woman's legs, underarms and vaginal area? As in the total cost. I understand that everyone is different and will require varying amounts of time so I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

In addition to knowing how much it would cost I'm curious to know about how long that much work would take a professional to complete? One year, Two years? What is a realistic amount of time?

Again, thanks for your replies and assistance.

#38818 - 01/30/07 06:59 AM Re: Is this the best book to buy? [Re: James W. Walker VII]
RedSpawn Offline

Originally Posted By: James W. Walker VII, CPE
I would recommend both that book and "The Blend Method: Real World Electrology" by Michael Bono, which is available through Texas Electrolysis Supply.

Thanks for the added recommendation James. I could not however, find the Michael Bono book available at the store you recommended. In fact, searching on google only brought up a couple of venders that even mentioned it. I only found one that was selling it. Maybe I'll check my library! \:\)

#38822 - 01/30/07 02:03 PM Re: Is this the best book to buy? [Re: RedSpawn]

Top 10 Contributor

You have to email or call Texas Electrolysis Supply on the phone, or fax them for the book. Their web site is notoriously unrepresentative of what they really sell. I would guess that only 1/3 of what they sell is actually listed on the site.

It is hard to say how much time or money a pro (or DIY or Do Each Other) job will take, as one has to be able to know the number of hairs per square centimeter, in the treatment area, the number of hairs per minute the person doing the work can remove, and the regularity the treatments will occur. On a perfect schedule, 9 months would clear anything up, but most people don't put in the time or frequency to acheive that, so 18 - 24 months is more the norm. After all, the practitioner can't remove the hair, if the client doesn't present the area for treatment. It is also not necessarily true that the most expensive practitioner will do the best and fastest work. Many times the best, and fastest work is done by someone in the middle of the price ranges.

As for NoHair's comments, it seems that he is reading something into my words that are not there, saying that education in a field makes one surely come to a conclusion that one thing is good, another is better, and something else is best, is not saying one will surely fail. Would you argue as vigorously with me if I said that once one learns about cars and test drives them all, one will find that a Yugo is transportation, but any Pontiac is better, and a Lexus Hybrid is the best of the three cars mentioned here? That is not stating as fact that anyone who drives all three will no doubt buy a Lexus. It only means they will wish they had one even as they double clutch the 3 speed manual transmission on the Yugo that was purchased for financial reasons.

So to clear up this misunderstanding for anyone else who thinks like NoHair:
If one were married to a professional electrologist, one would not do self work (just as most professionals won't do self work) and although one may wish one had a professional, one would understand the benefit of a friend, or electrolysis partner trading work with you so that the proper angles are achieved for the best work that can be done by those who have not been to electrolysis school, nor have professional equipment and finaly, some will just do it themselvess, while knowing that someone else, pro, or with no more skill than themselves would do more work in less time than someone doing a reverse insertion while looking in a mirror.

I said, "good, better, best," not "impossible, worthless, only safe option available"

#38823 - 01/30/07 02:07 PM Re: Is this the best book to buy? [Re: RedSpawn]
smoothwillie Offline
Contributor

Loc: Tennessee
I got the book from Prestige Electrolysis supply.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Skin issues
by Janedel62
43 minutes 13 seconds ago
Newbie journey
by MrsV
Today at 02:19 PM
Does this look right? Clean N Easy Deluxe aftermat
by 1876Eeyore
Today at 01:47 PM
Electrolysis Help
by zapmyface
Today at 01:37 PM
Dermatitis on previously treated area
by fenix
Yesterday at 09:29 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9664
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3299
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 111 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod