Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#40592 - 03/23/07 09:21 PM Re: Proper Epilations and other good deeds. [Re: Marthajoy]
hert9 Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: CA
I have been using the hydrocortisone once or twice a week, gives me enough relief that I am not climibing up the wall.

We have been using the gold needles but my electrologist doesn't like them, she says that they don't slide in as easy and also may be causing the increased hyperpigmenttaion (possible?) I have been seeing on my upperlip. It just looks splotchy and messy and any concealer I try to put on just flakes off because the skin is dry, I have to find some of that dermablend, is it available at CVS?

Also I had about 7-8 plugged pores last time so I went from using witch hazel only to alcohol and witch hazel alternatively. I have 4-5 this time.

We are goning to try the stainless needles again next time and see whether it causes less hyperpigmentation. Anything else we can try?

Thread Sponsors
#40593 - 03/23/07 10:36 PM Re: Proper Epilations and other good deeds. [Re: hert9]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
What kind of epilator does she use out of curiosity? I disagree with her gold probe negativism. They are definite gliders and they are NOT the cause of your hyperpigmentation. They are more pricey than stainless steel and maybe she doesn't like that.

What kind of magnification does she wear? What size probe is she using?

I'm concerned about your skin reaction and having to use hydrocortisone all the time. Short term use should be okay, but I don't see why you have to use this after a treatment. All I can say is there are a million excuses given to electrolysis consumers when there are problems. I just heard two funny excuses for horrible skin reaction from a potential new client today. Her last electrologist told her that she was eating too many tomato's and other salty food and that was contributing to her swelling and redness that lasted for many days.

I can tell you, hert, that there are many electrologists that just do their job well with the best tools possible and do not need to make excuses to clients because their healing scenario is within acceptable limits so they don't need creams and makeup to heal and hide their skin. I don't know what is going on here, but I know I feel frustrated right now. I wish I could help you more.

Dee
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest.

#40594 - 03/23/07 10:52 PM Re: Proper Epilations and other good deeds. [Re: dfahey]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
some people say that hydrocortisone causes thinning of the skin. are pure aloe vera, witch hazel, tea tree oil, and/or ice not helping on their own?

#40595 - 03/23/07 10:52 PM Re: Proper Epilations and other good deeds. [Re: dfahey]
Arlene R. Batz, CPE Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York City - Queens
Dee is on target Hert, I too favor gold over the stainless steel. The insertions are smoother.

If your tech is used to using SS and recently tried the gold because you asked her to, she needs to adjust her settings. When the electrologist changes an important variable like needle size or metal type, then the other variables need to be adjusted. Since gold is a better conductor, if she didn't adjust her settings, you might very well be getting too much tissue trauma as the insertions on the upperlip are a bit more shallow.

You shouldn't be having to give instructions to your tech.

#40685 - 03/26/07 10:23 PM Re: Proper Epilations and other good deeds. [Re: Arlene R. Batz, CPE]
hert9 Offline
Major Contributor

Thanks Dee, wish I could go to this one other electrologist that mantaray sees but she doesn't do evenings or Saturdays (only very occasionally and I work full time) and is much farther off and first open appt is 2-3 mths away so logistically just doesn't work out.

Mine uses the Hinkel UC-2, and her probe size is 2. Her magnification power I don't know, the one time I asked her she wasn't sure, it's that little rectangle set of glasses that looks like the ones on the arhinkel site
http://www.arhinkel.com/images/mags-2.jpg

She did acknowledge that all finer probes do get hotter, but she had adjusted the current down after my first upper lip tx (with SS) had a lot of swelling, she was quite willing to go to gold and also showed concern about my skin when I was there last. She gave me her nice aloe for free too, so I don't think she is stingy or anything. She rarely uses gold so it may be a comfort thing that she thinks it doesn't slide as easy, although she said hairs were releasing just fine when I asked. Maybe she needs to adjust current down further, it does hurt a lot. I will ask her the settings when I see her next.

lagirl, witch hazel and aloe don't seem to help with the itchiness and the pink patches (odd thing is they are right at jawline and under the chin, and we hardly treat the chin much every week). I haven't tried tea tree oil because I read somewhere that regular use of antibacterials makes us resistant to them over time and I didn't think that would help with the dryness, although it may help with the plugged pores, but I am using plain alcohol for that which could be contributing to the dryness...sigh, you can't win.

I try to remember that I have very sensitive skin, prone to dryness and weekly electrolysis is not easy for it to handle.

Arlene, you are so very right that I shouldn't be giving instructions, it's more like I ask questions and pose suggestions. She is very open to my feedback, which I thought was a good thing, but she is also not anal about skin reaction etc., like another lady verbalized when I sampled a tx with her. She keeps saying skin gets used to it, which is what I am hoping for also.

Having you all here to help talk about things from treatment to treatment is a such a blessing, thank you so very very much.

#40800 - 03/29/07 11:21 PM Re: Proper Epilations and other good deeds. [Re: hert9]
hert9 Offline
Major Contributor

We continued with the gold probe.

Settings off the Hinkel UC 2 that are being used -

Electrolysis dial is set at 15 when current is passing through the probe. I think the markings go up to 60.
Thermolysis side is about 1.4, the markings go up past 6.
Corresponds to 3 units of lye, I don't know how she did this calculation.

If you click on this link for the hinkel site, its the second product on the center drop down to see a picture.

#40801 - 03/29/07 11:24 PM Re: Proper Epilations and other good deeds. [Re: hert9]
hert9 Offline
Major Contributor

sheesh, here is the link
http://www.arhinkel.com/

#40803 - 03/29/07 11:48 PM Re: Proper Epilations and other good deeds. [Re: hert9]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

3 units of lye? Your hair must be pretty thin. That's not much lye for medium or coarse hair. I don't know anything about the Hinkle U2, but the settings sound as if you have very fine hair.

Does she like the gold probe now? It's a great probe to use for blend.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#40804 - 03/30/07 12:13 AM Re: Proper Epilations and other good deeds. [Re: dfahey]
hert9 Offline
Major Contributor

Yes Dee, the hair is mostly thin but corners are coarse, still not thick. I still got some swelling this time, subsiding quite a bit by now though. She just asked if we are still doing the gold and I said yes, so we continued with that. She didn't make any comments about hard or easy insertions, she really isn't that much of a talker :). She did ask if I had scabbed last time, and I said yes I had these real fine dots on the lower lip and she was surprised. I told her I am more concerned about the hyperpigmentation.
Also, I am totally confused about what to do with the lower lip hair, its short and fine but dark and the center fuzz is very visible coz its short and sticks out even with bleach. There is no way to get clearance of that in 20 min or a half hour, so do I not treat those and shave them?? So I am now going from waxing to shaving this area forever? Will waxing fuzz make it turn dark and thick?

#40807 - 03/30/07 12:27 AM Re: Proper Epilations and other good deeds. [Re: hert9]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

If she has good magnification, she can see those fuzzies on the under lip. This is one area that I never do full clearance. I just pick out the longest and thickest hairs and treat them, scattering my work. You usually need a size 2 or 3 probe for these guys and the intensity needs to be lowered for sure.That's where a computerized epilator earns it's reputation over a Hinkle U2. The energy can be pinpointed just right so one doesn't have to guess energy and timing levels with those useless dial machines. I wouldn't attempt to have these hairs touched unless you can find someone skilled with awesome magnification, quality lighting and a good computerized epilator. A steady hand is very helpful as well. Waxing anything on the face is not my preference. Shaving/clipping would be better until you can choose electrologist who is experienced with this delicate area.

Dee
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Bepanthen cream test
by Iluv2zap
11:13 PM
Nervous, very nervous
by charles99
03:49 PM
Getting "Played?"
by adrien_sanchiz
04/22/18 07:21 AM
Where to find a electrologist to hire in CA
by Jenniferw
04/21/18 08:58 PM
Numbness on shoulder after session
by Myk5
04/20/18 10:53 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9664
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3290
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod