Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#41005 - 04/06/07 04:43 AM What hurts more?
Chuck Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Loc: Kansas City, MO
What hurts more? A tattoo or electrolysis? I've always wanted to get a tattoo and heard it hurts. Anybody have any time of insight? I know different types of electrolysis hurt, but the worst electrolysis pain you've experienced compared to tattoo.

Also, can skin with tattoos be worked on by electrolysis? I wouldn't think it would matter as the pigment in the skin really isn't effecte, but I don't know. I've always held off of something on my arm because I always had to get lasered or IPL'd.

I can tell you, electrolysis FREAKIN KILLS in some spots. It's really strange kind of pain, because in some area it's barely noticeable, but some areas it's unbearable. I laugh when people whine about waxing..I mean come on. Waxing doesn't hurt AT ALL compared to electrolysis. I sit in 2 hour sessions twice a week for electrolysis and every time I'm done I wonder how the hell I made it through. Today I had the right side of my neck and where it connects to my shoulder..I really thought I was going to have to throw in the towel. I don't know how I made it, wow it hurt. That is why I was wondering about electrolysis, it's pretty constant pain for a while. Laser hurts, but it's only about 15 minutes then it's over.

Thread Sponsors
#41009 - 04/06/07 08:26 AM Re: What hurts more? [Re: Chuck]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
Everyone I know who has had both says Electrolysis is a walk in the park compared to a Tattoo. I know no one who doesn't feel a tattoo hurts more.

#41012 - 04/06/07 12:26 PM Re: What hurts more? [Re: James W. Walker VII]
WeRNotAfraid Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Dallas
I think tattoos are more painful, easy! I've got a few, and they certainly smarted more than electrolysis.

#41013 - 04/06/07 01:00 PM Re: What hurts more? [Re: Chuck]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Yes, some areas hurt more than others. The closer you get to the centerline of the body, the more sensitive. A lot of clients prefer microflash thermolysis for this reason. The sensation is over "quick like a bunny" as oppossed to methods with longer timing.

I would suggest that you talk to your electrologist about your discomfort. There are strategies other than pain medication and numbing agents that can offer you relief. The newer generation of epilator's allow the practitioner to make subtle adustments that make a world of difference. Also, I might add that any practitioner that has a variety of probe sizes is doing you a real service. I like using the biggest probe possible. A smaller probe is a hotter probe and may not creat a pattern of destruction that is big enough to get all the hair germ cells, thus more regrowth. For your area, Chuck, you need a big probe and that could help with the comfort issue as well.

If the electrologsit employs all strategies possible to make the treatment more tolerable and you are still whincing, then you will just have to offer it up to Jesus, Allah or Moses or other higher being. Most people are helped by the littlest changes.

You can have electrolysis with tattoo's, just don't want to break the follicle wall. Tattoo clients always report that tattooing is far more painful than electrolysis.

Dee
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest.

#41044 - 04/07/07 10:23 PM Re: What hurts more? [Re: dfahey]
Chuck Offline
Top 20 Contributor

I get both microflash and 2 second thermolysis and microflash is more bearable but it still hurts. It's a different kind of pain, a faster type of pain. It still hurts pretty bad on the back of the neck and in the spots I described, and due to the fact that microflash seems to get about 15 hairs in a minute compared to about 10 in the 2 second thermolysis...it is a little more constant pain so to speak. I've tried tridocaine and even rubbed in on there very liberally but I notice absolutely no difference in pain sensation.

The gal I go to who does microflash, I feel she may work to quick and pluck some of the hairs out. I say this because I get some ingrowns after treatment, and I don't see alot of bulbs. When I get the 2 second electrolysis I see ALOT of black bulbs and almost always a white bulb. Although I get a more irritated skin from the heat, I don't see the ingrowns. Additionally, I can only get in to the microflash gal 1 hour a week max. I get into the other one 4 hours a week.

I have no idea what size of probes they use. I know one of them switched to a different probe after the first treatments because I saw a ton of irritation at first, and it seems to be a little better now.

I saw you post in another thread that for full back and shoulder clearance you could be done at about 4K in about a year. I'm going to spend WELL WELL over that, probably six to seven times over that. I'm spending about a grand a month. I only make 36,000 a year, so basically I'm living off of a 24,000 job. I'm barely scraping by. I still don't have the left side entirely cleared yet because I can only get in about 1 hr a week with that electrolysis. GARRRRR

Originally Posted By: dfahey
Yes, some areas hurt more than others. The closer you get to the centerline of the body, the more sensitive. A lot of clients prefer microflash thermolysis for this reason. The sensation is over "quick like a bunny" as oppossed to methods with longer timing.

I would suggest that you talk to your electrologist about your discomfort. There are strategies other than pain medication and numbing agents that can offer you relief. The newer generation of epilator's allow the practitioner to make subtle adustments that make a world of difference. Also, I might add that any practitioner that has a variety of probe sizes is doing you a real service. I like using the biggest probe possible. A smaller probe is a hotter probe and may not creat a pattern of destruction that is big enough to get all the hair germ cells, thus more regrowth. For your area, Chuck, you need a big probe and that could help with the comfort issue as well.

Dee

Edited by Chuck (04/07/07 10:41 PM)

#41046 - 04/07/07 11:14 PM Re: What hurts more? [Re: Chuck]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Microflash is awesome and deadly to hair if the correct levels of intensity are used and the insertions are accurate. You should see intact bulbs and the hair should slide out. Ingrowns are the result of problems with technique. It is not the modality that is the problem.

I'm sorry you have to spend that kind of money. As you can see, not all practitioners are the same. There are many strategies to this business of permanent hair removal and some strategies work faster and better than others. You will still get permanent hair removal,Chuck. That is way too much money to spend for your income. How do you do it?

Dee

ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#41047 - 04/08/07 12:52 AM Re: What hurts more? [Re: dfahey]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
if you see a white bulb on the end of the hair, that means that hair is not in anagen anymore and was most likely not killed. do you shave a few days before treatments so that you're only treating hairs in the growing phase when you go?

#41052 - 04/08/07 02:10 AM Re: What hurts more? [Re: LAgirl]
Chuck Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Originally Posted By: lagirl
if you see a white bulb on the end of the hair, that means that hair is not in anagen anymore and was most likely not killed. do you shave a few days before treatments so that you're only treating hairs in the growing phase when you go?

Ya, I know that is the case. But supposedly some of these hairs can be killed as well right? Yes, I do shave before treatment, and it doesn't really help with making "black bulbs". In fact, I almost NEVER see black bulbs in the hairs removed from microflash. I've shaved 3 days before treatment, that would mean at least 90% of the hair that would be treated would be in growth stage right? AT LEAST. And I don't see even close that many black bulbs.

I have to spend this kind of money because I have no choice. I cannot be happy with shoulders, arms, and upper back full of hair. I just can't. I know you all will try to convince me otherwise but it's just not going to happen. When I have hair free skin in those areas in between laser treatments it is like a huge weight has been lifted off of me, and just not figuratively speaking. I have much more confidence around people, and I can actually have relations with women I like. I really miss that feeling

#41056 - 04/08/07 02:28 AM Re: What hurts more? [Re: Chuck]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Originally Posted By: Chuck
In fact, I almost NEVER see black bulbs in the hairs removed from microflash.

Well, you should. I can only assume the hair is being undertreated, especially with your ingrown hair statement. Did you ever submit a picture? Sorry, I can't remember if you did.

I understand your confidence remark as well. No one could convince or even make me feel ashamed of my hair removal goals many years back. I have never regretted spending the money, and money was very tight for me as well. So do what you got to do, but make sure the "goods" are being delivered.

ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#41061 - 04/08/07 06:12 PM Re: What hurts more? [Re: dfahey]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
the electrologist should only be treating the hairs that are obviously longer than others, which should be obvious a few days after you shaved. It sounds like you're being undertreated with microflash like Dee said or she's not removing the hairs that are visibly actively growing. Maybe it's best to stick with the other elecrologist for all your treatments...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
All about Laser Hair Removal (LHR) in a long shot
by Silvana
Yesterday at 02:51 PM
Tweezers
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Guidance on after care
by Pkanji
Yesterday at 02:31 PM
Laser hair removal in London
by Applepie
07/16/18 03:18 PM
Soprano Platinum 3 lasers in 1. Is it good?
by Camouflage
07/15/18 07:20 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9689
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4157
Michael Bono 3450
Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod