Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#41609 - 04/26/07 02:53 PM Re: Most effective permanent hair removal? [Re: Tomas k Edison 14]
Deedra Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: United States
Hi Ed.

Are there any hair reomoval discussion forums in England like hairtell that you can check in on and see if the Harley Medical Group is viewed in a good light with consumers that are finished and happy? I seem to remember a yahoo group that is moderated by a person named Jennifer Clifton that comes out of England. Maybe you could do a search and seee if you can find this group and ask your question there as well.

Prices vary from location to location. Lagirl or sslhr could better gauge how many sessions you would need for just a reduction.

I'll pray real, real hard for you that you escape having back hairs stimulate as you get older.

Dee

Licensed by the State Medical Board of Ohio for Cosmetic Therapy/Electrolysis and the State Nursing Board of Ohio

Sponsored Links
#41610 - 04/26/07 03:49 PM Re: Most effective permanent hair removal? [Re: ]
jimmyjames Offline
Major Contributor

I urge you to start with a small and inconspicous area , like the underarms.

Do a series of treatment in that area, then wait a couple years and see what the results are.

You've said it yourself. You have been seduced by advertising, hollywood movies, an exciting new technology, (and internet message boards, btw).

I hate to burst your bubble, but the seduction is driven by unscrupulous marketing combined with your own consumer niavety.

It's important to inform yourself and have realistic expectations. Even so, the nature of laser hair removal is insidious.

You may end up going through years of treatment and spend thousands of dollars. (Not to mention the pain and irritation of the procedure.) Only to be left disappointed and scarred physically and emotionally.

At least look at the FDA page explaining what "permanent" means: http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/consumer/laserfacts.html#1

Excerpt:

Further, manufacturers may not claim that laser hair removal is either painless or permanent unless the FDA determines that there are sufficient data to demonstrate such results. Several manufacturers received FDA permission to claim, "permanent reduction," NOT "permanent removal" for their lasers. This means that although laser treatments with these devices will permanently reduce the total number of body hairs, they will not result in a permanent removal of all hair. The specific claim granted is "intended to effect stable, long-term, or permanent reduction" through selective targeting of melanin in hair follicles. Permanent hair reduction is defined as the long-term, stable reduction in the number of hairs re-growing after a treatment regime, which may include several sessions. The number of hairs regrowing must be stable over time greater than the duration of the complete growth cycle of hair follicles, which varies from four to twelve months according to body location. Permanent hair reduction does not necessarily imply the elimination of all hairs in the treatment area.

FDA does not make comparisons between systems or how well or safely they work compared to another company's system. FDA does not recommend one laser system over another.

Lasers cleared for body hair removal are also cleared for facial hair removal.

Edited by jimmyjames (04/26/07 04:00 PM)

#41611 - 04/26/07 03:53 PM Re: Most effective permanent hair removal? [Re: jimmyjames]
Tomas k Edison 14 Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Suffolk, England
Seriously?
This is the most serious and frontline medical group in the united kingdom, not an internet scam though.

I hardly see the point in waiting a few years?
surely people here have had permanent laser results.

I am not naive, I am doing my research here and I would definately be very careful before selectng anywhere....

There are others here who have had success with lasering, are there not?

#41613 - 04/26/07 04:01 PM Re: Most effective permanent hair removal? [Re: jimmyjames]
jjpriv Offline

Just an update from me.. I'm well aware that I may not get 100% removal, I know the results are dependent on skin type and hair type. I probably wasn't clear enough in my original post - I've read up on the risks and the success of some of the treatments available, and for me, I think it's worth it to take the risk and see if laser works. I just wanted information on which of the types of laser were most successful. The discomfort I feel in my own body isn't worth it, if something can be done to fix it, I will try it. Sorry for any confusion my post caused.

I'll be going for a consultation at the Mapperley Park Clinic (http://www.mapperleypark.co.uk/) next week regarding which laser will be best for me. They offer the Cynosure Alexandrite laser, the Soprano Diode laser and the Nd:YAG. Hopefully I'll find something that will work well for me \:\) Thanks for all your help.

Edit: And Ed, the Harley Medical Group clinics are some of the best in England. They will vary from area to area, but overall they're some of the best regulated clinics in the UK.

Edited by jjpriv (04/26/07 05:01 PM)

#41615 - 04/26/07 04:07 PM Re: Most effective permanent hair removal? [Re: Tomas k Edison 14]
Deedra Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: United States
There are many laser successes. I have seen them in my own electrolysis practice. They come to me for an area that they want electrolysis performed and show me, for instance, their underarms that were lased several years ago and the area looks awesome. I usually end up removing a few whispy, light colored hairs with electrolysis because laser couldn't see these hairs no matter what. The two modalites can work well in unison. Each individual case needs to analyzed in order to see what is needed and appropriate. Electrolysis is appropriate for any hair removal job, just for the fact that it can get any hair anywhere, any color skin any color hair, BUT laser can save people time by reducing the number of sessions needed for certain body areas. Laser cannot do what electrolysis can do for everybody. Electrolysis is the big net that people fall in when laser has done all it can do.

Dee

Licensed by the State Medical Board of Ohio for Cosmetic Therapy/Electrolysis and the State Nursing Board of Ohio

#41616 - 04/26/07 04:11 PM Re: Most effective permanent hair removal? [Re: Tomas k Edison 14]
jimmyjames Offline
Major Contributor

Until you have actually completed a treatment series you will be somewhat niave about laser hair removal.

Look at the title of this thread! You are asking about "permanent hair removal." There is no such thing!!!

I understand where you are coming from. I was just like you when I started. I wish I had someone telling me all this information.

But I was young and stubborn so I probably would have dismissed it in favor of information that validates my desire to be hairless and perfect.

Speaking of your age. Even if the laser worked perfectly like its supposed to in theory, you would have plenty of hair left. Why? because you are young and still developing new terminal hairs.

(You will be getting terminal hairs all your life. But the majority occur in the twenties to thirties.)

If you understood how the laser works and the body works you'd know this.

Sorry for being a little mean. But you are saying these facts yourself in your own posts, but not acknowledging/realizing the implications.

Obviously this is because your desire to be hairless is emotionally driven. Its very easy to dismiss facts that don't validate your wants and desires.

And there are several industries geared up and ready to take your money. To some degree they are even responsible for creating this emotional dissonance that makes you so uncomfortable having (gasp) some hair.

Edited by jimmyjames (04/26/07 04:25 PM)

#41617 - 04/26/07 04:31 PM Re: Most effective permanent hair removal? [Re: jimmyjames]
jjpriv Offline

Originally Posted By: jimmyjames
Until you have actually completed a treatment series you will be somewhat niave about laser hair removal.

Look at the title of this thread! You are asking about "permanent hair removal." There is no such thing!!!

I'm sorry, but I don't think you're being particularly fair. I am fully aware that I am still developing and that I will continue to grow hairs as I get older. I know that the treatments I go for may not give me permanent removal, but I am looking into this as an ongoing thing, not just to have the treatment for a year and then expect to be hairless forever more. I know that I should go back for more treatments because more hairs will grow. It's stated just about everywhere that laser only treats the growing hairs and obviously you're not going to have 100% of your hair growing 100% of the time, especially as I am still just 18.

Please do not dismiss me as naive and stubborn, because I have been reading up on this for years now, trying to find an appropriate treatment for me. I am not willing to sit through electrolysis on my full arms, because not only will this be painful and expensive, it will be extremely time consuming. Hair removal is regulated differently in the UK, and there are many clinics that spring up out of nowhere claiming to have full training and experience. I probably should have named this thread "Most effective hair reduction?" but instead I thought this one would give a better idea of what I'm looking for. Please don't jump on me when all I was looking for was advice. I know the risks and I am prepared to put up with them.

The whole point of my original post was to ask and find out what type of lasers were most effective. I already have decided I want to have laser treatment, all I was looking for was the names of the most popular lasers in the US so that next year when I attend University there I can continue my treatment. I know that laser treatment is not effective on every skin or hair type, but I am willing to try it and I hope that it will work on me.

#41618 - 04/26/07 04:32 PM Re: Most effective permanent hair removal? [Re: jimmyjames]
Major Contributor

Oh goodness,
I dont know what to do now,
Im having people telling me dont do it, it wont work, and people telling me to do it all in the same few moments.

the facts
- it is expensive, but how much is worth it?
- Im unhappy as I am

Thats about all I do know.
:-(

Wheres the so called 'God' Andrea when shes actually needed??

#41619 - 04/26/07 04:35 PM Re: Most effective permanent hair removal? [Re: Tomas k Edison 14]
Major Contributor

Infact thats a damn good point, its supposed to be Andrea's site and shes never ever here and never replies to peoples posts when they directly ask her too (like myself) but instead asks for donations and allows Dfahey,LaGirl and James to do all the work for nothing.

#41620 - 04/26/07 04:36 PM Re: Most effective permanent hair removal? [Re: jjpriv]
Major Contributor

He was calling me Naive, Not you babe so dont worry.
Gotta stick together us brits lol
x

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Apilus Electropil... no model name?
by SynViks
Yesterday at 09:03 PM
A sterm warning to anyone considering laser hair removal.
by Miamikitty
09/20/18 08:54 PM
Guidance on after care
by HairByHair
09/20/18 07:00 AM
Newbie journey
by MrsV
09/19/18 10:54 PM
Best Laser Hair Removal UAE
by Deedra
09/19/18 10:52 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
Deedra 9711
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4158
Michael Bono 3490
Who's Online
0 registered (), 136 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod