Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#40912 - 04/03/07 06:55 AM Need help on DIY for the first time
mulan5000 Offline

I got inspired to take this approach after reading this informative site: http://www.geocities.com/hairfreethere/

I've built a similar machine to the one in the link above and added a current limiting circuit for safety. I am also using a 12V switching supply as my power source.

Anyways, I tried to insert the needle for practice but am having a difficult time.
How do I figure out when the needle is deep enough? Or if it's too shallow?
I'm using the Uni-probe 0.003m probe btw.

Sponsored Links
#42330 - 05/21/07 10:01 PM Re: Need help on DIY for the first time [Re: mulan5000]
hairborn Offline
Major Contributor

Same here. Kinda impossible to insert that damn probe lol.

#42338 - 05/21/07 11:47 PM Re: Need help on DIY for the first time [Re: hairborn]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Can you describe the kind of magnification you are using? I would advise you to study the anatomy of a hair follicle and read some electrolysis books about insertions first, if you insist on DIY.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest.

#42799 - 06/11/07 03:12 AM Re: Need help on DIY for the first time [Re: dfahey]
mulan5000 Offline

Using 5x magnification. I can get the needle into the hair follicle but am unsure how deep the needle should be going.

#42805 - 06/11/07 07:12 AM Re: Need help on DIY for the first time [Re: mulan5000]
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: San Diego, California
It takes time, but you will develope the ability to sense the botton of the follicle. At first it's all guesswork, then you get a 'lighter hand', and can feel the bottom. It gets clearer and clearer as time goes on. Basically, you get a less tense grip on the probe, and as you're sliding it in, at some point you can feel a tad of resistance and see the skin kind of dimple inwards as you connect with the bottom. Some have mentioned; grasping a hair by the base with your tweezers, at the skin level, plucking out the hair, comparing it along side the probe, then using that as a depth guage. And this is a helpful beginning method. I guess we all kind of do this when we start out, but that technique will feel kind of remedial after awhile. And, it's not wholly accurate as you won't feel positive contact with the papilla area as with sensing. As for bending the needle in an 'L' shape, some have did this too, but I wouldn't recommend this either.

Just take it very, very slow, and make sure you relax the muscles in your whole arm. By the third insertion or so, your hand starts to lighten up, and your touch becomes more sensitive. And seriously? practice about fifty insertions with the power off. You know, one thing at a time.

Mantaray

Electrolysis, since 1875

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Reaction to tea tree oil: aftercare
by stoppit&tidyup
Today at 05:26 AM
Thermolysis on thick facial hair (+Photos)
by Kate Blue
Today at 01:15 AM
Guidance on after care
by fenix
Yesterday at 07:57 PM
All about Laser Hair Removal (LHR) in a long shot
by Silvana
07/17/18 02:51 PM
Tweezers
by Iluv2zap
07/17/18 02:32 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9689
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4157
Michael Bono 3450
Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod