Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#4309 - 04/30/02 01:58 AM Making the first time easier
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Los Angeles
Amanda sent me this tip in April:

"I bought a Braun SilkEpil and have been very, very happy with it. My legs are GREAT!! My arms however, tend to break out quite a bit. For the most part, I've found it pain free. My legs are basically hair free weeks later (and I am VERY hairy) plus, my legs didn't break out at all which they normally did when I shaved. Here is one pointer though: wax the area a few weeks before, as the hair will not be as numerous. I had waxed every thing but the upper leg and found the upper to be excruciating and slow because there was so much hair.

Thanks again for your site."

Sponsored Links
#4310 - 05/15/02 12:42 AM Re: Making the first time easier
johnny Offline

Loc: n. carolina
i too have just bought a braun silk-epil. it is so much faster than tweezing. i have a very sparse beard but with dark hairs so even after shaving it was still dark, so instead of shaving, i would tweeze. it would take a long time though, so moving up to an automatic tweezer was the next logical step. the main benefit now is the speed, but it's hard to get all the hairs so i still need the revlon tweezers. oh well. i've tried it on my chest and woke up with a bunch of little dots, but thankfully as i've noticed in the past, they should go away in 4 or 5 days. in 'other' areas, the braun pinched too much, so i'll just have to continue shaving there. is there any concensus on who makes the best rotary epilator? i'm going to return this braun and try some others to see if any are better, but i started with the braun because it came highly recommended by a friend down in sydney.

[ May 14, 2002, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: johnny ]

#4311 - 05/15/02 02:53 AM Re: Making the first time easier
jon Offline

i was just wanting to know what people thought was the best epilator. if anyone has had good or bad results with one PLEASE post it because i am trying to decide which one to buy. regular tweezing is great but i need something to cover more area. thanks a lot.

#4312 - 06/03/02 03:46 AM Re: Making the first time easier
LongPonyTail Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Have any of you heard of Emjoi? Here is their web page:
http://www.emjoi.com/productpages/hair/departmenthair.htm

They've recently unvieled a new double tweezing rotary tweezer that's supposed to pull hairs as short as .5mm or approximately .020 inches. That's pretty darn short. Some of the epilators I've read about need at least .0625 to .125 inches in length to be effective. This model cost about $100, though. They have some battery powered models for around $40. I've never owned one but these look very promising.

#4313 - 06/04/02 01:40 AM Re: Making the first time easier
Hairy Offline

Loc: Washington DC
Just wanting to show my awe at women in general for being able to put up with epilators.

I bought an epilady (I'm a guy) - tried to use it on my stomach/back/chest - lordy lordy...wayyyyyy too painful. I didn't get anywhere with it. $40 down the drain.

#4314 - 06/05/02 03:46 AM Re: Making the first time easier
LongPonyTail Offline

I've read comments from women that bought an Epilady. They used it once and that was enough. I think they must be not as elegant as the rotary tweezer style, but I don't know.

#4315 - 06/05/02 05:29 AM Re: Making the first time easier
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

The original Epilady was a pretty nightmarish device with these awful twisting coils that weren't very effective and quite a bit more painful than they claimed in their early ads.

They had a big marketing push right before Christmas, and a lot of wsomen were screaming in agony that day. Nothing kills a bad product faster than good advertising. they say! [Wink] I'm surprised they didn't even continue with the brand bame because there were so many bad consumer associations with the name. The newer models they sell are more in line with the improved models of their competitors.

Personally, I don't think I'd use one on my face, but for women who spend a lot of time each day plucking, it might be a time-saving option.

#4316 - 06/05/02 08:31 PM Re: Making the first time easier
LongPonyTail Offline

HA! Funny you should mention the Christmas story. The article I read told of the author's teen years when her sister got a Epilady as a Christmas gift. They both rushed upstairs to try it out and .... She said it quickly became a garage sale item. Andrea, you have a lot of experience with the rotary epilators. Pardon my persistence, but have you, or anyone you know tried any of the Emjoi products? Their latest invention is a double rotary model with gold plated tweezers and they "claim" that these will get the shortest and finest of hair. I can only surmise but it would seem to me that if a person kept their hair very short all of the time by using one of these devices, my guess is that the pain would be much less severe than tweezing a mature hair. Do you use your epilator exclusively for hair removal?

#4317 - 06/08/02 05:03 AM Re: Making the first time easier
stubby Offline

I got a Braun Silk Epil Eversoft, I'm pretty sure it's new, and it's not like the Supersoft model. It came with an "Easy Start" head and the regular head, so that the first few times you can use the "Easy Start", then switch over. The "Easy Start" only has half as many tweezers. It made the process totally bearable. I still got red dots, but they did not sting really bad like ones I've gotten from waxing. It was just so much easier than anything else I've tried, and I'm really glad this product came out.

#4318 - 06/08/02 10:16 PM Re: Making the first time easier
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

stubby, I am a big fan of the Braun epilators, too, thanks for sharing here and on the other forums! [Cool]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Recommended machine to buy in 2017?
by TheFlyingProbe
Today at 09:11 AM
Afraid of Laser Hair Stimulation
by purple potato
Today at 07:26 AM
Apilus Xcell for SALE Mint condition!
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
is thermolysis safe on asian skin?
by geri
11/15/17 11:43 PM
Lasting results
by Stephgold
11/15/17 02:31 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9606
James W. Walker VII 8046
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3167
Who's Online
2 registered (Moertn, 1 invisible), 90 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod