Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#44718 - 08/11/07 07:55 AM vaniqa and chin/ throat area success
alli Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Willoughby, OH
I have read through all the posts on vaniqa and it looks like many ppl have had some success. I would love to know specifically if anyone has had success on the throat area under the chin???
Also has anyone else experienced what Metria has with vaniqa making the hair coarser, brittle and hard to pluck (breaking off when plucking and causing ingrown hairs)?

Any feedback is much appreciated. I am thinking of going back on it after a 3 year break.
alli

Sponsored Links
#44892 - 08/15/07 02:57 AM Vaniqa Does Work!
ILoveVaniqa Offline
Contributor

I started using Vaniqa December of 2006. It took 6-8 wks for me to notice the reduction in the hair on my chin. I used to spend about 40 minutes plucking EVERY SINGLE MORNING lots and lots of hairs (so many that i can't count) from my chin and some on my neck. I noticed that the hair started to reduce with Vaniqa bcz i spent less and less time plucking (really!). One morning I got up and COULD NOT FIND ONE SINGLE HAIR. Not one. I walked out of the house without having to pluck! It hadn't happened since I was 18 and I am 27!

But, sadly, i have not been able to get Vaniqa in Australia since then. Apparently there is a new provider and it will be available here again in mid to late September (I cannot wait!). It has meant though that I am back at square one. I will have to wait the 6-8wks for it to start working all over again. However, i am just happy that we may be having it again. It cost me $98 AUS for the small tube. I am willing to pay this for the rest of my life if it means that I dont have hair on my chin anymore.

I am olive skinned with dark hairs. I had tried everything before (including spending $1200+ on laser!) and nothing else worked. For me vaniqa is a miracle.

I just want it back in Australia NOW!!

#44893 - 08/15/07 02:58 AM Re: Vaniqa Does Work! [Re: ILoveVaniqa]
ILoveVaniqa Offline
Contributor

Oh and thanks for this forum. I have searched high and low for somewhere to tell my experience with vaniqa and never knew this existed.

Thanks!

#44894 - 08/15/07 03:09 AM Re: Vaniqa Does Work! [Re: ILoveVaniqa]
ILoveVaniqa Offline
Contributor

oh and after having read some other posts here i must say that i am not promoting vaniqa. i am just a 27 yo who is so happy to have found something that works for me. i remember when i first starting using vaniqa that i though maybe i had just wasted a hundred bucks. after 4 wks i was ready to give up using it. but i did gradually notice a difference.

i know how hard it is being a woman and living with hair on my face. it is a very awful feeling. i hate talking to people at close range and always try to tilt my head down so as divert attention from my chin area.

anyway im rambling right?

\:\)

#44900 - 08/15/07 05:19 AM Re: vaniqa and chin/ throat area success [Re: alli]
ILoveVaniqa Offline
Contributor

i have had success on the throat area under the chin/ neck area. but of course i imagien that it would vary from person to person. also if u have had success with it on the chin then it should mean u would have success with it on the neck.

#44919 - 08/15/07 08:31 PM Re: vaniqa and chin/ throat area success [Re: ILoveVaniqa]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
considering how much Vaniqa costs and how often you have to use it (so you have to buy a lot of it), it might make more sense to invest into permanent hair removal like electrolysis, which wouldn't be any more expensive in my opinion and will get rid of your problem forever.

I would also suggest testing for PCOS or other hormonal disorders if you are a woman with considerable hair growth on your neck and chin.

#44922 - 08/15/07 08:33 PM Re: Vaniqa Does Work! [Re: ILoveVaniqa]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

considering how much Vaniqa costs and how often you have to use it (so you have to buy a lot of it), it might make more sense to invest into permanent hair removal like electrolysis, which wouldn't be any more expensive in my opinion and will get rid of your problem forever.

I would also suggest testing for PCOS or other hormonal disorders if you are a woman with considerable hair growth on your neck and chin.

#44925 - 08/15/07 10:17 PM Re: Vaniqa Does Work! [Re: ILoveVaniqa]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
 Originally Posted By: ILoveVaniqa
I am olive skinned with dark hairs. I had tried everything before (including spending $1200+ on laser!) and nothing else worked. For me vaniqa is a miracle.

If you live near an electrologist, you could enjoy the miracle of permanent hair removal and wouldn't need Vaniqa anymore. That's a steep price you are paying for a small tube and after already spending $1,200 for laser. It's funny how people gripe about electrolysis (the sure thing) being expensive when they don't hesitate to plop down over a thousand dollars for laser with no results and Vaniqa at $98 a tube that they will have to use for the rest of their life. Now, I'm am not scolding you at all because I am assuming that you don't have access to a skilled, modern electrologist as they are hard to come by on certain parts of the globe, but there are people that continue to chase the hair, who could spend less money for more, with electrolysis.

I would strongly urge you to spend effort to research if there are any good electrolgists in your locale. If there are not, then Vaniqa is a good choice for you because it is your only choice.

Dee
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#44927 - 08/15/07 10:26 PM Re: Vaniqa Does Work! [Re: dfahey]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Laser is not a good option for olive skin on the face. Unfortunately, some are in it for the money and will perform treatments on just about anyone. In your case, electrolysis will be a much better PERMANENT option than spending such exorbitant amounts on a temporary cream.

#44968 - 08/16/07 11:28 PM Re: Vaniqa Does Work! [Re: LAgirl]
ILoveVaniqa Offline
Contributor

in reply to the above comments, my mother also has the same problems as me so my excess hair is actually hereditry ratehr than PCOS or the like.

ME mother had electrolysis done for a span of 7 years (costing lots, its very expensive here!) and had no success. Her and I are the same colouring and so i did not choose to try electrolysis because i had a (strong) feeling that it also would not work for me.

I have noticed throughout the threads that when someone mentions vaniqa ro something else that they are trying for their excess hair problems, soemone (or 2 or 3) pops up and lectures about electrolysis and how everything else is a waste of money and time. what works for you may not work for the next person.

vaniqa works for me. i am thankful for that. i have a real problem with very real psychological side effects. some support on this forum would go a LONG way.

#44969 - 08/16/07 11:30 PM Re: vaniqa and chin/ throat area success [Re: LAgirl]
ILoveVaniqa Offline
Contributor

why is lagirl posting the same message over and over and over again?

jeez

#44970 - 08/16/07 11:36 PM electrolysis vs vaniqa
ILoveVaniqa Offline
Contributor

ok so is there some form of fear that vaniqa will actually stop people spending their money on things like electrolysis? why are so many readily quashing any vaniqa comments with: "vaniqa is too expensive, do electrolysis, its less expensive and permanent. dont spend so much on vaniqa as it only slows down hair growth blah blah blah"

is this a support forum or what?

many of us here are really affected by excess facial hair. VANIQA WORKS FOR ME. It may not work for you but that does not mean it is a BAD thing.

i have had many many years of depression bcz of my excess hair problem. i found something that works for me. at the moment i am waiting for vaniqa to be available again here and in the meantime i am again going through a bad time.

i think this forum is one to promote electrolysis as everything else is received by complete negativity.

this forum sux

#44971 - 08/16/07 11:55 PM Re: electrolysis vs vaniqa [Re: ILoveVaniqa]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
Why are you, a first day poster posting the same message over and over and over? Most first time posters can barely manage a question, much less a crusade for a drug.

There is no fear at all that the drug you are plugging will replace anything tried and true. There has been enough time to see what Vaniqua has to offer, and it is not a threat to any electrolysis practice unless you count the time and money people spend trying Vaniqua and therefore lose both when they could have gotten rid of the problem by using a proven technology.

No one told you to stop taking the drug of your choice, and no one even tried to state the possible side effects of that drug. We have just stated the fact that Vaniqua is NOT equivalent to Electrolysis. If that offends you, I guess I am crossed off the Christmas card list (and Chanukkah Card List Too)

If Vaniqua actually worked, you would not need more of it, because your problem would be over, but instead, you are a slave to the drug, as it must be taken FOR LIFE, or you lose what ever result it gave you. When one is done with electrolysis, one is done.

#44973 - 08/17/07 12:22 AM Re: electrolysis vs vaniqa [Re: James W. Walker VII]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Let me try to explain why I posted this.

I understand that you have found something that works for you, which is great. The reason I interjected was to shed some light on something that is even BETTER than what you are currently using and which you do not seem to be aware of. Vaniqa is great as a temporary measure, compared to all the other temporary products on the market. However, there is a solution to your problem that is PERMANENT, which is not something that can even be compared to a temporary method which as James pointed out makes you a slave to this expensive product for life.

Let me ask you this. What if you were told that there is a something you can do instead of Vaniqa, which would kill your hair forever within a year (not just mask it) and would cost the same of your yearly supply of Vaniqa, would you be interested? It just sounds like you do not realize that this option exists. That is why I pointed it out. I think it's important for everyone participating and reading these forums to know that it exists. Once you know what all your options are, you can make a choice of what you prefer for your particular situation.

I don't know anyone who would take shaving and buying $100 tubes of Vaniqa monthly over getting rid of the hair and shadow etc forever, once and for all.

You can read my personal story with electrolysis and laser experiences by the way at the link below. I have first-hand experience with both. It's something you and others currently dependent on Vaniqa may want to look into as well.

If permanent hair removal interests you, you can always read the other sections of this forum (electrolysis & laser) for more information.

p.s. Good electrolysis requires a very skilled electrologist and would never require 7 years of treatment on the same area. There are many helpful professionals on this forum who can recommend you to a good electrologist. What I'm trying to tell you is that electrolysis "didn't work" on your mother due to a bad electrologist, not the hair or skin type. Those have nothing to do with effectiveness of electrolysis treatments. If your hair is not caused by a hormonal imbalance (and you seem to be confident that it is not), then effectiveness only depends on skilled electrologist. If someone doesn't knwo what they're doing, you can be going for 7, 10, 20 years, sure. But if they do and are good at what they do, you will be done within 1 year.

#44979 - 08/17/07 01:20 AM Re: electrolysis vs vaniqa [Re: LAgirl]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I've learned that patient reasoning can be a fruitless effort sometimes. I would advise you to keep buying the Vaniqa (when it becomes available again) if that makes you happy and I apologize for putting you on the defensive.

Thanks,

Dee
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#44980 - 08/17/07 02:52 AM Re: electrolysis vs vaniqa [Re: dfahey]
ILoveVaniqa Offline
Contributor

umm okaayy

#45004 - 08/18/07 05:04 AM Re: Vaniqa Does Work! [Re: ILoveVaniqa]
alli Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Willoughby, OH
ILoveVaniqa: I want to first thank you for sharing your experience with Vaniqa and second tell you that I know how you feel as, I'm sure, do many others on this forum. I am actually seeking therapy for the phsycological effects of my facial hair growth and it can control my life and thoughts but I am working on not letting it! I find the ppl on this forum to be very helpful and I do notice that electrolysis is mentioned a lot as well but I think they are genuinely here to help us and spend a lot of time resonding to questions. As you said, what works for one person may not work for another.
I think ppl are just speaking from the experiences that worked that they have witnessed. I hope one day to get electrolysis but the time and money is a factor and I am hoping for some quicker success, at least for peace of mind and to give me hope for the future, and that is what I hope to see in Vaniqa. Later when I decide to get electrolysis, I will hopefully, be in a better state of mind with the help of vaniqa. Bad practitioners do scare me, though. I did it in the past and had scarring...I didn't keep it up long enough to see success.

Oh...also(in reply to an earlier post)- I didn't notice much help with my chin hair the last time I used Vaniqa but I did on the upper lip. I now have more hair on my chin (and didn't have much neck hair the last time)so I am hoping this time the chin and neck will show results!

Alli

Edited by alli (08/18/07 05:05 AM)

#45033 - 08/18/07 10:23 PM Re: Vaniqa Does Work! [Re: alli]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

alli, the whole point of my post was that if time and money are a big factor, Vaniqa is just as or more expensive than electrolysis, BUT it only slows down the rate at which the hair grows, and requires constant application. Electrolysis costs the same for removing the hair altogether, permanently. This is a big difference. In my opinion, temporary and permanent methods are in completely different leagues. If you're spending time and money on something that will get rid of your problem FOREVER within a year, that's a big difference from spending the same amount of time and money on something daily for the rest of your life, while still having to shave and having a shadow etc.

#45216 - 08/26/07 05:48 PM Re: Vaniqa Does Work! [Re: LAgirl]
M_D Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Lagirl, James, etc all have a very good point.

1) You can continue buying Vaniqa at ~$100 a tube for the rest of your life to have temporary results.

OR

2) You can spend a fraction as much (granted you will be paying more up front, but over the long haul it would be cheaper) for electrolysis and be done with your problem FOREVER. Considering the fact that you want such a small area to be treated it wouldn't even take that long. Achieving first clearance would be easy enough and then it would just be a matter of getting the new stuff as it came in.

#94763 - 12/28/11 05:16 AM Re: Vaniqa Does Work! [Re: M_D]
Emma3232 Offline

I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Vaniqa) - pharm4all.com Good price and quality.

Edited by Emma3232 (12/28/11 05:17 AM)

#109338 - 09/25/13 07:07 AM Re: Vaniqa Does Work! [Re: ILoveVaniqa]
C_mare Offline

I live in London and have found it almost impossible to find a recommended electrologist here (I posted here a while ago), and to treat the hair on my lip I will need to go often, at least to begin with. So I have compromised. I will use vaniqa in my upper lip and go to Parkside (one of the few places that I found despite that fact it's a long journey, far from convenient) to treat hair on my neck/chin (which is a BIT more manageable). I do appreciate Vaniqa is expensive (and not permanent), but see it as a cost for looking OK, much like Mac lipstick. If the treatment on my chin and neck goes well, than I will consider cutting stopping the Vaniqa for the lip, and continuing treatment there. The supplier I use is Tara Skincare in California. I also pay a lot for shipping. I don't care. For those of us with very dark, thick, fast growing hair, please don't underestimate the difficulties of starting electrolysis there if there isn't a good electrologist nearby, the case in London.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Are AEA electrologists the only ones to pick?
by Iluv2zap
12:00 AM
In need of some feedback
by Iluv2zap
01:53 PM
Over the counter numbing cream
by yb
02:39 AM
How to find an electrologist in your area
by Iluv2zap
07/20/17 10:27 PM
How to Target leftover hair- can I draw on myself?
by joben
07/19/17 08:50 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9520
James W. Walker VII 8028
Andrea 4146
Michael Bono 3094
Who's Online
1 registered (Kim Rimmer), 103 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod