Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#46403 - 10/12/07 08:24 AM Hairline Electrolysis Situation (questions)
ndx Offline

Hi all... I've been through these forums for a few days and finally decided I would post myself \:\) I thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give me.

I am man of Indian decent (medium brown skin)and have black hair.
I am looking to have my hairline raised because I feel it is too low at the moment and doesn't compliment my face. I will be raising it about .5-1 inch. I have pretty specific questions because it is a serious undertaking for me.

Q1) What is the best method to use on my forehead (it is scalp hair so it is thick I assume)?

Q2) How many treatments/how often/how long will I have to undergo?

Q3) I plan on starting my first treatment on December 21st however I would like to temporarily raise my hairline until then... I have heard I should not wax/tweeze this hair so soon before electrolysis so I was looking for alternative methods. Shaving is not an option because it grows back stubbly and is *very* noticeable. Is a depilatory cream acceptable or should I just leave it as is until I get the procedure done?

Q3a) If I did use a depilatory cream how fast/course would it grow back?

Q4) I live out of the country at the moment and I won't be able to make constant visits to my electrologist... should I wait until next year when I move back or is there a way I can start treatment in December (will be home for 4 weeks) then come back 4 months later (permanently home then) and keep going constantly from there?

Q4a) If it is recommended I wait until I can make constant trips to start this process... would it be acceptable to wax/tweeze this hair until I start the treatment? How long before you start electrolysis do you need to stop waxing/tweezing?

I have wanted to raise my hairline for quite sometime now... shaving the area was the worst idea ever because it became very noticeable... I had to grow my hair out long and cover my face to
hide this for quite sometime until it grew back. Now that my hair is short I really don't have that option anymore so if I am going to take action I need to make sure it isn't blatantly obvious that I removed hair at my hairline.

Again, thanks in advance for all your help and god bless.

-ND

Thread Sponsors
#46423 - 10/12/07 10:32 PM Re: Hairline Electrolysis Situation (questions) [Re: ndx]
Sojou Offline
Contributor

Loc: London, UK
Hello there! I'm no expert but I also have hairline management issues...I find that a razor is not the natural choice anyway for that area because it's difficult to control the shape with it. I think depilatories are probably ok to use on your forehead because the skin there is more resilient and is probably less likely to get burnt. I now trim my hairline with very sharp fine scissors to get the length down (this works surprisingly well) and then use cream to get what's left. I do know a girl who had her hairline raised successfully with blend, it took her two years but the result was excellent. I'm going to get it done soon and I can't wait!

#46426 - 10/12/07 10:43 PM Re: Hairline Electrolysis Situation (questions) [Re: Sojou]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
You can wax or thread now. It will be back by Dec 21. But yes, you should consider having treatments when you can commit going every 2 weeks for at least 4-5 months. If you do this for 4 weeks and then stop for a year, you won't see any difference anyway and you will have to remove the hair in that year which will defeat the purpose.

#46428 - 10/12/07 11:19 PM Re: Hairline Electrolysis Situation (questions) [Re: LAgirl]
ndx Offline

Thanks Sojou and lagirl! \:\)

Sojou... how often do you have to cut/cream your hairline (basically, how fast does it grow back)? I was thinking waxing would have more long term results until I can commit to electrolysis.

Also, what depilatory do you use? Depilatories always hurt my skin (not visibly really though). One specially formalized for the face? I was thinking ones specially formalized for the face would be less effective though since they are probably meant for lighter hair and more sensitive skin.

#46430 - 10/12/07 11:48 PM Re: Hairline Electrolysis Situation (questions) [Re: ndx]
James W. Walker VII Online

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
Dipiliatory cream would not be a good idea on the hairline. A chemical burn there, would be unsightly, and residual chemical dripping in the eye later would be tragic.

#46507 - 10/15/07 11:13 PM Re: Hairline Electrolysis Situation (questions) [Re: James W. Walker VII]
Sojou Offline
Contributor

Loc: London, UK
ndx, I think waxing is probably the best option if you can tolerate it - I get really bad spots and then scars with waxing which is why I use cream instead...I get much cleaner looking results. I am very careful though with cream (I use standard Nair and don't leave it on for long and it works pretty well, hairline hair isn't thick like pubic hair (hopefully!)...but like James says, be careful with your eyes > wipe all the cream off with damp cotton wool and then wash the area with your head tipped forward so that the water doesn't go anywhere near your eyes...laborious I know!) And I usually have to do this every 5 days but it depends if I have to go anywhere etc, I like to give my skin a break whenever I can.

#46513 - 10/16/07 12:06 AM Re: Hairline Electrolysis Situation (questions) [Re: Sojou]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
I would highly recommend threading technique meanwhile for this area. it is popular at Indian salons.

Moderator:  Andrea, James W. Walker VII 
Sponsored Sidebar Links
Recent Posts
Weird weak anagen hair
by SeanaTG
07/26/14 06:45 PM
First Ever Electrolysis Consult Today (Pics)
by dfahey
07/26/14 02:55 AM
Minoxidil und electrolysis
by JessieH
07/26/14 01:27 AM
Electrologists in Istanbul?? (If not, advice?)
by Michael Bono
07/25/14 12:42 PM
Electrolysis in Glasgow?
by Dragons
07/24/14 02:42 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 8657
James W. Walker VII 7994
Andrea 4046
depilacionelectr 2523
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod