Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#49702 - 02/26/08 03:02 AM How to find the right clinic in your area
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
So, you read the FAQs and now know that you're definitely a good candidate and know what type of laser you need for your particular situation. Now, you need to find a clinic with expertise to get you results. Here are several things you can try to find one near you:

- You can run a search on the forum using the search box at the top right corner with your city name or state to see if there are clinics in your area which have been recommended by contributors in the past. Don't forget to run an "Advanced" search to expand the time period to at least the previous 1-2 years.

- You can run a Google search once you know what laser you need. For example, search for "San Francisco GentleLASE" at www.Google.com and see what comes up. Make sure to call each clinic to make sure they still have the right laser.

- You run a provider search with your zip code on the following laser manufacturer websites:

Candela GentleLASE Alexandrite or GentleYag ND:Yag in the US: http://www.candelalaser.com/patients/index.cfm?task=practSearch

GentleLASE Alexandrite in the UK:
http://www.crosstechplc.co.uk

Lumenis LightSheer Diode:
http://www.skinandhealth.com/details/practitioner

Cutera Coolglide ND:Yag:
http://www.cutera.com/locator/main.asp

Or on these sites:

American Society of Dermatological Surgery for clinics in the US
http://www.asds.net/find.html

General Clinic Directory in the UK:
http://www.skinlaserdirectory.org.uk/UnitedKingdom.htm

- Lastly, you can check your local Yellow Pages or www.citysearch.com for listings in your area, and call to confirm that they have the right type of laser

Of course, as mentioned in the FAQs, do check out at least 3-4 clinics and compare everything before you make your final decision.

Sponsored Links
#50972 - 04/14/08 03:03 PM Re: How to find the right clinic in your area [Re: ]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Why do you have these links in your signature??
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#50993 - 04/14/08 06:46 PM Re: How to find the right clinic in your area [Re: dfahey]
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Los Angeles
I removed the poster's signature links. Please notify me of any future issues, and this person will be permabanned.

#52680 - 06/03/08 06:14 PM Re: How to find the right clinic in your area [Re: LAgirl]
KathyLee Offline

the best way to find laser hair in your area is referral and NOT by some MD who is getting a piece of the pie. I used to see an MD in NJ (first place was a derm ofc, 2nd an OB/GYN ofc). I had spotty hairy areas and been thru the bar mark burns are well. I started going to a medi-spa in Pearl River NY and have not been happier!!! I donated my razors!! FINALLY I am hair free this summer!! Kudos to Kelly my laser tech!!
-Kath

#52684 - 06/03/08 08:38 PM Re: How to find the right clinic in your area [Re: KathyLee]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

If you're a true consumer, maybe you can provide us with more details on type of laser used, what areas you're treating, etc. Results depend on experience of the person you're getting treated by, the right machine and settings, etc.

#52715 - 06/04/08 06:01 PM Re: How to find the right clinic in your area [Re: LAgirl]
KathyLee Offline

Yes, I am a true consumer. I was originally treated with IPL which is NOT the best method for hair removal (now I know). I started with full leg hair removal. I went to an MD who used an older gentlelase unit but was left with spotty areas. Both the MD and tech left me with bar marks, etc. THankfully they cleared. I was referred to a tech at a medi-spa in pearl river, ny and received treatment with the latest Gentlelase/Alex unit. She did a PERFECT job on the first shot (and they say there is no such thing as perfect? LOL) I am thrilled and scheduled for additional areas for hair removal. Their pricing also fit my budget. Kelly is the best! -Kath

#53771 - 07/10/08 11:10 PM Re: How to find the right clinic in your area [Re: KathyLee]
story8 Offline
Contributor

Hey lagirl. Your stories were very encouraging. I'm new to the forum and also new to really taking charge of this hair problem. I'm African-American and my skin type would be somewhere between a IV and V. How can I determine the type of laser best suited for me before I even find the best clinic out there? I'm very cautious about asking various clinics because they may say anything to get me to choose them.

#53776 - 07/11/08 01:49 AM Re: How to find the right clinic in your area [Re: story8]
VickieCNY Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Given the area and your skin type, you should also have a consultation with an electrologist and weigh the pros and cons of each method. Make sure you read the Laser FAQ here carefully as well.

#53777 - 07/11/08 01:53 AM Re: How to find the right clinic in your area [Re: VickieCNY]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

If you read the FAQs at the link below and take a look at the form we post to help ask questions at the consultations, you'll be able to judge whether you're a good candidate.

Please start a new thread and we'll be able to address your problem specifically. This thread is meant for general knowledge.

p.s. If you're African American, you're probably at least a type V, likely VI. So a Yag laser is necessary. Also, you need to have coarse hair. Otherwise, electrolysis is a more appropriate method.

I would have to disagree with Vickie. Most electrologists are unfortunately still very biased to electrolysis. The ones on this forum have come around to understand the benefits of laser. But I still wouldn't trust most to tell me the unbiased truth about which method is best just like I wouldn't trust most laser operators to give me unbiased information about electrolysis. The problem is that either one is mostly unfamiliar with the other method and often only learned the negative aspects which helps promote their business.

#56732 - 10/15/08 03:29 PM Re: How to find the right clinic in your area [Re: VickieCNY]
troyguy39 Offline

Anyone have any experience with American Laser Centers?

I switched techs because after a few yrs of IPL, I thought the benefits were not worth it all. There is a center in my area, and I paid for full body treatments which should take about 2 yrs to complete. They guarantee that after two yrs, if hair grows back within 2 yrs after that, the treatments are free.
They have both laser and IPL, but I want to stick with laser now being IPL did not seem to reduce the amount of hair coming back.

They suggest 10 weeks to wait per treatment area to be done again.

After 7 yrs of treatments (Candela GentleLase, Lightshear,
Palomar IPL) I have a lot of experience and still a lot of hair which frown should be gone by now... but no luck. Yes I am satisfied of the difference, but I could have bought a house, with cash, after all this time...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Apilus Xcell for SALE Mint condition!
by James W. Walker VII
Today at 12:20 PM
Lasting results
by Iluv2zap
Today at 11:44 AM
Recommended machine to buy in 2017?
by TheFlyingProbe
Yesterday at 09:11 AM
Afraid of Laser Hair Stimulation
by purple potato
Yesterday at 07:26 AM
is thermolysis safe on asian skin?
by geri
11/15/17 11:43 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9606
James W. Walker VII 8046
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3167
Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod