I have one thing to say about Epilation - take is, destroy it, throw it in the garbage. Not only is it extremely addicting as people keep feeling to have to us it even if their legs are swelling up with bumps.
1st - the first sign of disaster pending - is itchy legs. that means there is hair under your skin, that is trying to get out but can't - which means you will be irritating your skin itching in vain.
2nd - epilation increases your hair - personal experience 5 years ago. i still have the problem, not that menacing but my legs are still messed up.
3rd - epilation thickens and rounds off the tp of your hair which means it cant push though your skin.
4th - the constant scrubbing and exfoliation that you use to clear your skin, creates even thicker skin with time...kind of like they tell you not to over do it on your feet, else you get thick callous...the skin makes up for the lost dermis by overproduction...
5th - the worst part of epilation is what it does to the hair follical which waxing does not do - it bends it, messes it up, changes the shape of the hair follical...if you imagine your hair follical as a little cup that is sitting upward, now that you used epilation that little cup is maybe upside down, or sitting sideways and this is why you get those bumps...because the hair is growing into the wrong direction. This is the main cause of epilation ingrowns. This is almost unfixable even if you try and grow out your hair because you already bend and messed up the little cup's shape.
6. girls with curley or thicker hair are more prone to ingrowns...just to let you know.
alas....i am sorry guys you are facing this, i have had it for soooooo long and am still paingin about it. I started waxing 4 years ago, but since i messed up the hair follicle even waxing causes ingrowns now. fo rme its not as bad as it used to be, but my skin is not clear and I dont know when I am going to have clear legs again. I am now considering to use laser and simply deactivate all the hair follicels as possible the only option left.
What has been working for me
1. Throw out the epilator, i know its hard. throw it out and never use it again.
2. buy lavender oiled sea salt and scrub your legs with it once a week.
3. let your hair grow out and eat some birth control pills to reduce hair production.
4. every night rub your legs with glycerine, second option is baby oil. It softens the skin so that the hair that can grow out from the top, can come out.
5. stop using needles to get out your hair, i know its tempting. We become pethetic needle addicts. i know this because I know others who resort to this.
6. take regular bath or go to the steam room to soften your legs and scrub them gently. make sure you dont scrub yourself silly. remember what i said about overscrubbing...
oh...and remember...some people dont have legs.