Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#53587 - 07/04/08 02:01 AM Re: I'm dreaming of a hair-free Christmas [Re: imosm]
imosm Offline
Contributor

Loc: ohio
OK, I had my 2nd appointment yesterday and we did the chin first~ 347 insertions with a #5 probe and had FIRST FULL CLEARANCE (yay!) in 61 minutes!!! It is healing up very nicely, and actually was nearly normal before I even left her office.
However, when we moved to the upper lip area, there were more obstacles than I had expected. We had 252 insertions in 51 minutes, and I kept making her stop because of the pain. I am looking pretty bad there today, but I know it's mainly due to razor burn. When I would shave, tearing across the skin which was trying to heal, then just ripping it up again everyday for the last nearly 20 years, the skin got ravaged. It was constantly trying to heal itself by growing new skin, which just makes a little flap of skin over the hair. So, I am NOT even really shaving the hair, but ripping the skin layer over the hair, thus leaving a dark shadow from the hair right above the skin and a red irritated area. So, it always looks horrible, but now at least I know that eventually it will be completely done with. Someday, I have hope, SOMEDAY I will be free of this hair that drives me so crazy!!!
I still have a lot of hair on the upper lip and have another 2 hour block on for next week. I just hate not being able to wear makeup for a few days afterwards. I know it looks awful, and I really think it bothers people and makes it hard for them to look at me.
Aftercare is: Witch Hazel 3+ times a day, 100% Aloe that I cool in the fridge, then Tea Tree Oil dabbed on at night before bed. I am also going to get some little ice packs tomorrow.
Also, today I went to a new gyno and got scheduled to have my blood and hormones tested for PCOS. She said we will do an ultrasound, too, just to see of there are any physical signs. She also told me the way they will probably treat it, if I do have PCOS, is with birth control, and since it's impossible for me to get pregnant because I lost both fallopian tubes to tubal pregnancies I will probably look into that instead of glucose treatment.
I am really battling some serious depression right now. I feel completely at the mercy of this hair. Please pray for me.
Thanks.

Thread Sponsors
#53593 - 07/04/08 06:35 AM Re: I'm dreaming of a hair-free Christmas [Re: imosm]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
Generally, one small area like the upper lip (this area is especially sensitive) shouldn't be treated for over 15-20 mins. 51 mins seems like an overkill for just the upper lip. You should probably space out your treatments a bit more so you're not overtreating one dense area.

#53597 - 07/04/08 12:54 PM Re: I'm dreaming of a hair-free Christmas [Re: imosm]
angel_85 Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Toronto, Canada
That's a very long time for the upper lip area on a high setting. Be careful that you don't have permanent damage caused to your skin from this. The skin should have enough time to regenerate between treatments so you don't get pitting and/or scarring. Was your skin pretty much healed from the last treatment?

#53599 - 07/04/08 02:19 PM Re: I'm dreaming of a hair-free Christmas [Re: angel_85]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
There are some exceptions here.

Working a longer time on an upper lip is highly possible when certain brand computerized epilators are used with the correct probe size. Generally speaking, an upper lip time range is between 10-30 minutes for ceratin modalities and older epilators, but this is not so with newer technology, special techniques and probe choice.

I have cleared many severe upper lip problems, with two hours of work at one time being the highest time needed to clear an upper lip on a transgender client. I am currently working on a 19 year old male who wanted his total upper lip cleared. He has very coarse red hair. Total clearance has been done in three, one hour sessions. He looks great. The trade off is swelling for 24-48 hours, which is helped along with ice.

If I was still using my older epilator from the past, I could never attempt longer sessions on an upper lip. The middle upper lip is the toughest as far as sensation matters goes.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#53600 - 07/04/08 03:08 PM Re: I'm dreaming of a hair-free Christmas [Re: dfahey]
angel_85 Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I had my upper lip treated with a Fischer machine (I believe it is a new model) for 10 minutes on high. My skin had redness for 7 days and swelling only went away on day 2. It is still slightly red. That is why I wrote the response I did to a 51 minute treatment for imosm. I read some horror stories about scarring and such.

#53601 - 07/04/08 04:23 PM Re: I'm dreaming of a hair-free Christmas [Re: angel_85]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

I am not going to comment on anyone's epilator choice and I certainly am not in a position to know their level of skill, but will tell you that an electrologist has to do a lot of weighing and balancing according to what an individual initiallly presents with...... If skin has been severely compromised by years of temporary measures that have caused redness, thickening, ingrowns, flakiness, etc. and they want very coarse hair removed, but cannot let the skin heal before starting electrolysis because letting the hair grow means they can't hide their problem, then you have some hard decisions to make as to how to proceed. Discussing this with the client will lead to a plan of action. Just getting this very irritating hair initially removed can be a giant first step to helping the skin to heal, but it "ain't" going to look pretty at first.

I understand your your response, angel, and thanks for weighing in, but I want to make this a well-rounded discussion because there are no cut and dry rules that apply to every upper lip case. Some cases are very, very complicated and are out of the realm of what is generally seen by most electrologists. These average cases for an hirsute female hair can usually be handled in a 10-30 minute session, but when one presents with a severe problem made worse by years of temporary hair removal measures, made worse by a disease within the body (something we don't know about imosm yet) then the whole strategy changes with the client totally engaged in that decision. Again, better equipment/tools of the trade make a difference in how aggressive one can be to get the hair off fast.

Dee
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#53609 - 07/04/08 06:46 PM Re: I'm dreaming of a hair-free Christmas [Re: dfahey]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
Dee, 10-30 mins may be fine, but the person above was treated for 51 mins on just the upper lip AND what the reaction they describe sounds like overtreatment.

#53610 - 07/04/08 07:03 PM Re: I'm dreaming of a hair-free Christmas [Re: imosm]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Originally Posted By: imosm
However, when we moved to the upper lip area, there were more obstacles than I had expected. We had 252 insertions in 51 minutes, and I kept making her stop because of the pain. I am looking pretty bad there today, but I know it's mainly due to razor burn. When I would shave, tearing across the skin which was trying to heal, then just ripping it up again everyday for the last nearly 20 years, the skin got ravaged. It was constantly trying to heal itself by growing new skin, which just makes a little flap of skin over the hair. So, I am NOT even really shaving the hair, but ripping the skin layer over the hair, thus leaving a dark shadow from the hair right above the skin and a red irritated area. So, it always looks horrible, but now at least I know that eventually it will be completely done with.

What she was saying is, she was a mess before electrolysis treatment was started, my point being her only option to this cycle of damage is to remove the hair which has caused her skin damage before electrolysis was even started. Electrolysis did not cause the mess she is talking about, shaving for twenty years did. Naturally,it follows that her upper lip will look rough after an electrolysis treatment. Considering that 51 minutes? Stopping several times during treatment probably translates into several minutes lost when treatment was not being done. This hardly qualifies for overtreatment. How else is she going to stop this cycle of skin damage if the hair is not removed? Where do you start? This is where weighing and balancing comes into the picture. If she waits for the skin to heal perfectly before starting electrolysis (months and months) and lets all the hair grow out in the process, how can she face people? She is not talking about whispy hair on skin that is in excellent condition. This is a severe case of upper lip hair, coupled with years of skin damage caused by improper shaving and maybe PCOS, unlike the problem you had, lagirl, when you had your lip treated for finer hair on beautiful, intact skin, I'm sure, and I say that with upmost respect for you.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#53614 - 07/04/08 10:06 PM Re: I'm dreaming of a hair-free Christmas [Re: dfahey]
Squash Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Ontario, Canada
It used to take me up to 30 minutes weekly to clear my upper lip and my electrologist works quickly, so I'm sure I had AT LEAST 250 insertions. I got one or two tiny scabs the first few times I went in, but my skin has been great otherwise and redness goes away completely within two hours. The hair is pretty fine and my electrologist uses a microscope and seems to make pretty accurate insertions.

#53618 - 07/05/08 02:35 AM Re: I'm dreaming of a hair-free Christmas [Re: Squash]
imosm Offline
Contributor

Loc: ohio
OK, boy has this got some stuff stirred up....Let me respond....
\\First of all, I am going into this as an educated consumer and with a fair level of understanding as far as the technology and skill levels, and I know ALL of the factors that are at work in this situation. Please remember, I am driving 2 hours each way for this, and I asked my electrologist for the longest possible amount of treatment. We agreed to work towards the first full clearance, and I have known going in that this might not happen in the first one, two, or even three sessions. I walk around with a substantial amount of damage on my skin on a daily basis, and have been for years. I always, or should I say ALWAYS wear make up when I leave my house, which does hide the rash and skin damage (some), and since I have been receiving electrolysis I have cut down on that practice quite a bit, especially for the first 2 or 3 days after treatment. This is what makes it so hard for me to deal with. Not being able to go through my normal process of covering up my problem is making me have to, literally, face this issue head-on.
I have no question about the level of skill or professionalism of my electrologist. I am confident that she has the top of the line equipment and the knowledge and training she needs to operate it properly. I also realize that this is a two-person job, and if I don't do my part, (as in trying to maintain and improve the condition of my skin, not worsen it as we move forward) then I can not expect to receive positive results.
I wish my case was just some fine wispy hair, but it's not. If I don't do something on a daily basis to remove it, I can grow a fuller mustache and goatee than my husband. I have very thick coarse hair and fairly light skin. Sometimes, when my electrologist pulls hairs she will show them to me and I know they are larger and thicker and "healthier" than a normal woman's facial hair. And, the bulbs on the roots can be twice as large or even plumper than the individual hair.
I am not being over treated, I actually wish I could go longer so we could get the first full clearance, but that's not possible because of the pain and honestly, the cost factors in as well. If I could afford it financially and socially, I would rent a room and book a weekend marathon session until it was all cleared.
Honestly, it doesn't look that bad at all today. The swelling is completely gone and not a single straggler on my chin has peeked out, plus she did such a terrific job at thinning out the hair on my upper lip that I simply snipped some of the remaining ones with some tiny scissors and it looks closer to a normal woman's upper lip than it has for a very, very long time.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Before & After electrolysis photos!
by Stephgold
6 minutes 20 seconds ago
Lasting results
by dfahey
Today at 04:29 PM
Can Diode Laser produce both 810 & 1064 nm?
by melb_aussie
Today at 02:51 PM
Current Laser/IPL Models
by melb_aussie
Today at 02:48 PM
Looking for manual of A.R. Hinkel UC-2, pls help
by melb_aussie
Today at 02:40 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9614
James W. Walker VII 8050
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3186
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod