Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#66374 - 10/02/09 07:31 PM My Electrolysis Journey
Pokka Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: UK
Hi,

I had my first consultation with an electrologist today. It went really well. The lady is very experienced (22 years), BIAE registered, and talked thoroughly about the hair removal method, including the different types she can use.

After looking at my skin and asking questions she determined that Diathermy would be best. At first she would like me to keep to a fortnightly appointment gap, allowing my skin to heal properly between treatments and advised that it may take two years of treatments before the areas on my face are cleared.

A test patch has been done around and near my jaw-line. This did feel a little uncomfortable, much like an super-fast injection, and then afterwards a little hot, like a mosquito bite. After 5 hours, there are still little raised bumps but they are really small.

Just a Quick Q, I forgot to ask about energy and type of machine etc.. Does this vary alot, meaning is it vital finding this out before choosing an electrologist? Thanks.

I was so nervous about the appointment this morning, though it wasn't as bad as I had feared. I am so pleased I gave it a go. I will see how the tested area heals over the next few days and write again.
History: 9 LHR Cynosure Alexandrite sessions = no reduction seen, and new growth in places
Started 0ct/09: 6 sessions, 8hrs 10mins of Thermolysis Electrolysis using Apilus Cleo, size 3 (upper lip) & 4 (side of face) probe

Thread Sponsors
#66381 - 10/03/09 08:29 AM Re: My Electrolysis Journey [Re: Pokka]
Sista Offline
Major Contributor

Where are you getting it done in the UK?

#66386 - 10/03/09 06:37 PM Re: My Electrolysis Journey [Re: Sista]
Pokka Offline
Major Contributor

Hi Sista,

I am seeing a lady based in Tonbridge wells, Kent.
History: 9 LHR Cynosure Alexandrite sessions = no reduction seen, and new growth in places
Started 0ct/09: 6 sessions, 8hrs 10mins of Thermolysis Electrolysis using Apilus Cleo, size 3 (upper lip) & 4 (side of face) probe

#66389 - 10/03/09 08:45 PM Re: My Electrolysis Journey [Re: Pokka]
Sista Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Pokka
Hi Sista,

I am seeing a lady based in Tonbridge wells, Kent.

Ah okay. Not too far. I like that place, lots of trees.

#66390 - 10/03/09 10:24 PM Re: My Electrolysis Journey [Re: Sista]
Pokka Offline
Major Contributor

No, not too far, takes me an hour by car. There are some other BIAE registered electrolysists in Canterbury and Folkestone, but I didn't have the confidence to go to them as no info was available via website etc.. I did contact a clinic in Maidstone, though when I checked on BIAE they were not registered.

I wanted to ask for some advice, any will be appreciated.

I was thinking of calling the Canterbury and Folkestone clinics, just to find out which machines they use. I found out that the clinic I went to use Stridex, the electrologist is listed on their website; seems a lot of other clinics in the Kent area also use this machine. From reading another post here it seems Apilus is the most advanced, and desired, for electrolysis. Is it worth finding someone who uses an Apilus machine or will Stridex do the job just as well (assuming the professional is well experienced)?

Update: the test patch has calmed completely, and I am now left with pin-prick sized red dots. Is this normal?

#66431 - 10/05/09 12:31 PM Re: My Electrolysis Journey [Re: Pokka]
Pokka Offline
Major Contributor

Just to update, the test patch dots are very dark today... look like tiny scabs. My electrologist got in touch and asked how the test patch healed; she explained that the skin acclimatises to a new experience and should not reoccur. smile

#66433 - 10/05/09 01:05 PM Re: My Electrolysis Journey [Re: Pokka]
Pokka Offline
Major Contributor

Hi,

I am so upset... I feel like I am going out of my mind worrying about all this.

I have just spoken to a lady who performs electrolysis in Folkestone, Kent. She pointed out that if I am not removing the hairs in any other way inbetween treatments then this must be a 'Peach fuzz' type of hair, which begs the question 'does it need removing at all?'. She stated that obviously without seeing me she would not be able to give any specific advice. She is busy and booked up for two weeks. Once I have had a think about it I may call her for a consultation. I tried to ask what type of machine she uses, she just said Diathermy. When I asked about the machine make, she asked who I am seeing... so I explained that I was calling regarding starting electrolysis and am looking into different options in my area after having Alexandrite Laser treatments, to which she replied, I wouldn't think that to be a good option for hair on the face. I explained that I was following the advice of a dermatologist, but then gave up trying to ask about the machine as I became very shaky and upset at the sheer speed and tone of the conversation.

I have an appointment booked with the lady in Tonbridge Wells for 30 mins. I don't know whether I should wait until the scabs go and see if there are any marks or just try out 30mins... I wish I knew what to do.

So glad I didn't buy that magnifiying mirror now.

#66435 - 10/05/09 01:58 PM Re: My Electrolysis Journey [Re: Pokka]
Pokka Offline
Major Contributor

I have added a picture to file manager I took in 2007 of the sideburn growth after 6 Laser treatments. Not sure if you will be able to view it...

Attachments
DSC00169.JPG

#66436 - 10/05/09 02:09 PM Re: My Electrolysis Journey [Re: Pokka]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: London, UK
Hey Pokka,

really sorry to hear that. she sounded really insensitive frown
i don't do anything to my facial hair either, except bleach, but it's still dense and long enough to be very obvious. hence the electrolysis to reduce it. she should know that women have all kinds of hair patterns and also that something that causes one women an issue might not for another.

anyway, i found a clinic that's based in Dorking. if i could drive i would definitely try it as they use an Apilus.
prices are high but you make up for it in clearance time i guess.

http://www.epilsoft.co.uk/electrolysis_prices.html

Edited by stoppit&tidyup (10/05/09 03:01 PM)
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to date, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

#66438 - 10/05/09 02:17 PM Re: My Electrolysis Journey [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
Pokka Offline
Major Contributor

Stopit, firstly, thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it. I can't bring myself to telling anyone about all of this except my Mum, so really, thank you.

I will call the clinic you have found and book in for a consultation.

I have booked a consultation tomorrow with a lady with 27 years experience who uses a Colten classic.. can't find any info on this machine, but it can't hurt to get another opinion. Plus, she is only 20 minutes away.

Added: I have cancelled the 30min session tomo, I just don't feel confident yet. The lady was very understanding.

Edited by Pokka (10/05/09 02:19 PM)

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 23 24 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Thermocoagulation and Health Canada regulation
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 11:09 PM
One month on...
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 11:00 PM
Sterilization in Canada
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
My Electrolysis Diary. Laser stimulated hair.
by Stephgold
01/13/18 11:49 PM
Hello again! Looking for advice and opinions.
by Stephgold
01/13/18 07:10 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9633
James W. Walker VII 8052
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3219
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod