Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#62019 - 04/29/09 10:10 PM My Laser Treatments 26/F/UK, Type IV
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: London, UK
Hi there everyone,

So far I have been roughly documenting and asking questions in my earlier thread 'First Laser Consultation (UK)'.

Well today I asked the aesthetician about my treatment settings and she kindly printed off the settings for all my treatments.
I thought it would be helpful to other users so I'm documenting all this information in this seperate thread so it's easier to find.

I have had normal shedding about two weeks after every treatment.

Laser: Apogee Elite Nd:Yag

Underarms
1st Treatment (17/07/2008) - Joules:30, Pulse Width:30, Spot Size:12mm
By the time of second treatment, underarm area looked almost like a full growth.
2nd Treatment (11/09/2008) - Joules:25, Pulse Width:25, Spot Size:12mm
3rd Treatment (20/11/2008) - Joules:30, Pulse Width:25, Spot Size:12mm
4th Treatment (19/02/2008) - Joules:35, Pulse Width:30, Spot Size:12mm
Reduction at each treatment from 2-4 has been noticeable. About 10-20% of a full growth left (re: coarse 'underarm hairs). Underarms are much smoother, much less 'grey' looking.
5th treatment (29/04/2009) - Joules:35, Pulse Width:20, Spot Size:12mm

Bikini Thong
1st Treatment (19/02/2009) - Joules:35, Pulse Width:30, Spot Size:12mm
Significant reduction, maintained until the time of 2nd treatment. Large patches with no hair visible.
2nd Treatment (29/04/2009) - Joules:35, Pulse Width:20, Spot Size:12mm

Staring full legs tomorrow! She said she will use 30J for the lower leg and 40J for the upper.

I am being treated at Renew Medica, Oxford Circus branch in London.
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to date, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

Sponsored Links
#62021 - 04/29/09 10:49 PM Re: My Laser Treatments 26/F/UK, Type IV [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
If you're truly a type IV, you should have no problems going 35j or higher, so do some testing and don't treat them too low. The pulse settings are fine. The spot size is good.

#62034 - 04/30/09 07:00 AM Re: My Laser Treatments 26/F/UK, Type IV [Re: LAgirl]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Originally Posted By: lagirl
If you're truly a type IV, you should have no problems going 35j or higher, so do some testing and don't treat them too low. The pulse settings are fine. The spot size is good.

she does test patch for higher settings but sometimes she's had to go back down because it's too painful. she said it's because of the coarser and more dense areas of hair.
i would say my pain tolerance is quite high too. i don't find waxing or electrolysis at all painful.

if they too low, what does it mean? the hair is shedding fine from all areas and i think 5th treatment will be the last on my underarms. does it mean i may see the hair come back because the follicles are not completely destroyed?
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to date, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

#62051 - 04/30/09 05:34 PM Re: My Laser Treatments 26/F/UK, Type IV [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

You shouldn't go lower just because it's painful. If you can't handle the pain, use icing or a numbing cream. It's in your best interests to get treated at as high settings as your skin can handle without burning.

And yes on your last point. You want high settings to make sure the hair is damaged permanently. On a Yag, for a type IV, 25 joules is pretty low. 30j is ok with those pulse settings, but 35+ would be much better.

#63402 - 06/18/09 04:07 PM Re: My Laser Treatments 26/F/UK, Type IV [Re: LAgirl]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Need opinions:

I thought my fifth underarm treatment would be my last. Now it's 6 or 7 weeks since my fifth treatment. The right armpit is looking great; yes there are hairs but they are fine and not much thicker than the hairs on the rest of my body - the sort of final reduction I wanted to achieve. Ok, that might change in the next few weeks though.

The left armpit on the other hand has 3 clusters of hairs that are a lot thicker - I would say about 30 visible so far.

Obviously, I'm going to wait until about week 9 or 10 to decide but *if* still only the left armpit has these hairs, what should I do? Ask the laser clinic if they would just treat the single armpit? Or would the money be better spent finishing these off with electrolysis?

#63407 - 06/18/09 07:22 PM Re: My Laser Treatments 26/F/UK, Type IV [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Most people need 6-8 treatments on this area. You should wait full 12 weeks. Then get another treatment. There may be more hair on the other one by that time too. You really just have to assess whether the hair is coarse enough still for more treatments. If it's not, that's when you switch to electrolysis.

#63459 - 06/20/09 08:44 PM Re: My Laser Treatments 26/F/UK, Type IV [Re: LAgirl]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

thanks, let's see how it goes.

another question - i had my legs treated just over 7 weeks ago (will be 8 on Thursday). i didn't book an app for week 8 as although there is hair, there doesn't seem to me, to be enough to warrant 2nd treatment yet. However, I do need to call fairly soon if I want to get a slot for week 9 or week 10.
my instinct tells me to get both 2nd leg treatment and 3rd bikini treatment at week 10. i know my aesthetician would disagree though, saying the 2nd treatment should be 6-8 weeks. what do you think? is 10 weeks too long a wait for a second leg treatment?

#63467 - 06/21/09 01:32 AM Re: My Laser Treatments 26/F/UK, Type IV [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Legs have some of the longest hair cycles and usually only need treatments once every 12-16 weeks.

#65956 - 09/15/09 03:01 PM Re: My Laser Treatments 26/F/UK, Type IV [Re: LAgirl]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd update. It's been 10 weeks since my last set of treatments.

I've had 6 underarm treatments and feel I'm done.
There is just a little bit of fine hair that I shave once every one to two weeks. If I want to finish it off I will do so with electrolysis.

I'm 10 weeks from my 2nd Full Leg Treatment and so happy with the results on my lower leg!! Such an amazing reduction and sparse, much finer hairs left. I will see how the growth is after the 3rd but I feel it may well be my last treatment there!
The results on the thigh haven't been as impressive; still lots of thicker hairs left. I think that may be because there were a LOT of missed patches (had a different aesthetician last time) and by the time I noticed, after shedding, it was beyond their touch-up period... going to complain about that.

10 weeks since my 3rd Bikni Thong Treatment and wooweeee I'm hair free on most of it! Just some hair left lower down where it was most dense that will take one or two more treatments... hopefully they can work something out in terms of cost since it's maybe a 1/4 of the area usually treated.

Ok some good news - they have a new pricing structure (not listed on the website yet) - slighter higher for peak times and less for off-peak.
For example, Full leg used to cost me 220, now it's 235 peak and 200 off-peak.

Bad news - Clare (my recommended Aesthetician) is leaving for Australia! :(:(
She's fantastic and very thorough. Next week is her last so I've squeezed in my next appointment before she leaves and will be asking her who she advises as being just as thorough. I will let you know.

#66003 - 09/16/09 02:37 PM Re: My Laser Treatments 26/F/UK, Type IV [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
We hear frequently that thigh hairs are less responsive to laser.
I'm wondering about the hair "roots". It seems that a great percentage of "roots" have white bulbs, meaning the hairs are not new, growing hairs. Laser cannot "see" white. Would waxing prior to laser assure darker "roots"?
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Before & After electrolysis photos!
by Stephgold
6 minutes 20 seconds ago
Lasting results
by dfahey
Today at 04:29 PM
Can Diode Laser produce both 810 & 1064 nm?
by melb_aussie
Today at 02:51 PM
Current Laser/IPL Models
by melb_aussie
Today at 02:48 PM
Looking for manual of A.R. Hinkel UC-2, pls help
by melb_aussie
Today at 02:40 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9614
James W. Walker VII 8050
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3186
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod