Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#92015 - 09/20/11 02:56 PM Re: My contribution to epilator-users everywhere! [Re: Z3R0]
Mr Sm8th Offline

Loc: Liverpool, UK
Hi,
I've been experimenting recently with applying bleach after epilating...
I got the idea after watching CSI, when a cast member said something about the use of bleach dissolving any DNA evidence. Looking into it I discovered any 'base' does dissolve biological matter and that a strong base will burn the skin, we all remember the scene from FightClub with the spot of lime on the back of his hand.
Anyways my theory is that a good scrub with bleach after epilating will help dissolve the exposed hair folicles resulting in permanent hair removal.
This has had mixed results; my chest after 3 gos is virtually hair free, my arms & legs after one treatment have 50% less hair which I think is also alot finer and my pubic area seems the least responsive to bleach. I did suffer a little skin burning down there but not bad just a little dry skin afterwards.
I use a 50/50 solution in a spray bottle and 1st couple of times I did this I was in the shower so I could wash it off quick wink
I'm still experimenting with this idea but from the initial results I could be on to something? I think that the cleaner the initial hair removal the more chance the bleach has to get to whats left of the hair roots so combine it with hairdryer use and who knows...

My goal is to be permanently hair free from the neck down, currently epilated smooth all over :P

Sponsored Links
#92017 - 09/20/11 03:06 PM Re: My contribution to epilator-users everywhere! [Re: Mr Sm8th]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Bad idea. Diluted chlorine will do nothing to hasten permanent hair removal. Certainly this will "disinfect" the skin but WAY to harsh. A recently epilated follicle is not going to allow much chemical penetration and certainly not to the depth of the papilla. Besides, chlorine is poison.

#92025 - 09/20/11 11:18 PM Re: My contribution to epilator-users everywhere! [Re: Michael Bono]
C O'Connell Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Sydney,Australia
Over what period of time have you been doing this? It sound very risky to me.

#92049 - 09/21/11 03:09 PM Re: My contribution to epilator-users everywhere! [Re: C O'Connell]
Mr Sm8th Offline

Loc: Liverpool, UK
Been doing this for around 9 months and not everytime I epliate.
Seems to extend the hairless period and leaves my skin lovely & smooth, suppose it's a bit like an acid peel.

#96124 - 02/26/12 12:31 AM Re: My contribution to epilator-users everywhere! [Re: Mr Sm8th]
Soyokaze Offline

I'll have to try the hair dryer trick. My epilator already overheats way faster than I'd like though : ( The bleach idea scares me.

#97136 - 03/25/12 10:50 AM Re: My contribution to epilator-users everywhere! [Re: Z3R0]
Saroo Offline

I tend to only bother epilating in the summer, so I'd been psyching myself up for the first epilating session of the year (always the most painful!) - think I'm going to try out this hairdrying tip to see if I can notice any difference.

#111928 - 01/23/14 10:33 PM Re: My contribution to epilator-users everywhere! [Re: Mr Sm8th]
Evalegs Offline

Originally Posted By: Mr Sm8th
Hi,
I've been experimenting recently with applying bleach after epilating...
I got the idea after watching CSI, when a cast member said something about the use of bleach dissolving any DNA evidence. Looking into it I discovered any 'base' does dissolve biological matter and that a strong base will burn the skin, we all remember the scene from FightClub with the spot of lime on the back of his hand.
Anyways my theory is that a good scrub with bleach after epilating will help dissolve the exposed hair folicles resulting in permanent hair removal.
This has had mixed results; my chest after 3 gos is virtually hair free, my arms & legs after one treatment have 50% less hair which I think is also alot finer and my pubic area seems the least responsive to bleach. I did suffer a little skin burning down there but not bad just a little dry skin afterwards.
I use a 50/50 solution in a spray bottle and 1st couple of times I did this I was in the shower so I could wash it off quick wink
I'm still experimenting with this idea but from the initial results I could be on to something? I think that the cleaner the initial hair removal the more chance the bleach has to get to whats left of the hair roots so combine it with hairdryer use and who knows...

My goal is to be permanently hair free from the neck down, currently epilated smooth all over :P

You never mentioned the exact procedure you use. i.e. How long you leave the solution on your skin and how you go about doing your entire body.. I agree with the others in that it does sound risky but to everyone I say "Google is your friend". Don't knock it until you've done a good amount of research on it. I'll do the same.

Edited by Evalegs (01/23/14 10:35 PM)

#111973 - 01/25/14 10:24 PM Re: My contribution to epilator-users everywhere! [Re: Evalegs]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
There is a reason smart people filter chlorine (bleach) OUT of their tap water before bathing, showering, or drinking it.

Restaurants pour those pitchers of water at the beginning of the shift and let them sit, because the bleach/chlorine will evaporate over time as exposure to air continues.

Short answer, bleach/chlorine and human skin are not well suited, and you are not going to do much at all for permanent hair removal, but you can ruin perfectly good skin.

#118132 - 05/10/15 07:28 PM Re: My contribution to epilator-users everywhere! [Re: James W. Walker VII]
MariaP Offline
Contributor

I've never heard of using a blow dryer before epilating. I know that water tends to soften the hair which might cause it to break more easily.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Ingrown Extraction!
by Iluv2zap
10:43 AM
Is this leg hair a good option for laser?
by Brenton
12:30 AM
Desperate for advice
by Iluv2zap
08:09 PM
DIY Electrolysis Equipment + Other Questions
by Iluv2zap
08:08 PM
Good Electrologyst But Talks Too Much
by dfahey
04/24/17 08:12 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9451
James W. Walker VII 8025
Andrea 4146
Michael Bono 3063
Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod