Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#71430 - 03/20/10 05:47 PM Should electrologists wear gloves?
GirlHair Offline
Major Contributor

In my common sense, I would think so.

Well, I had to find a new electrologist due to relocating. I have tried 2 electrologists before, and they both wore gloves.

This new electrologist seems to have a reputable business and is registered, but she did not wear gloves and answered the phone straight from doing work. She also applied the gel to soothe redness with her bare hands. We all know what gloves are for. I don't think there is a sink in her work area. Although I am not sure they need one right in their office.

I'd feel uncomfortable to tell the electrologist to wear gloves when I think it's common sense to do so.....

One thing I like is her electroloysis machine. I don't have to hold a device with a wet towel and it is less painful than the other electrolysis I have used.

Any tips? Probably find another one...

Thread Sponsors
#71432 - 03/20/10 06:50 PM Re: Should electrologists wear gloves? [Re: GirlHair]
MagicalPrincessKitty Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: California
Sounds like she uses thermolysis. You can look for any other electrologist who uses thermolysis instead of galvanic if you like the way she treats you. I really think she should have worn gloves, I would be concerned about her hygiene practices in general after something like that.
1 laser session on right arm starting 07/02/10 (GenteLASE)
6.75 hrs electrolysis on tummy starting 01/07/10 (Apilus Platinum, picoflash)
10 hrs electrolysis on arms starting 01/30/10 (Apilus Platinum, synchro/picoflash)
37.25 hrs DIY electrolysis on left arm (OneTouch and Instantron)
1.75 hrs DIY electrolysis on tummy (Instantron, thermolysis)

#71437 - 03/20/10 07:08 PM Re: Should electrologists wear gloves? [Re: MagicalPrincessKitty]
GirlHair Offline
Major Contributor

It looks like she's been in business for a long time. I wonder why a reputable person wouldn't wear gloves. I wouldn't answer phones or do anything else while servicing a client. The other electrologists I had did not answer the phone.

It's such a sticky subject to bring up if she's been doing electrolysis a long time...

Hopefully I find one using the same type of machine...

#71438 - 03/20/10 07:33 PM Re: Should electrologists wear gloves? [Re: GirlHair]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
Since it is my job description to be the lightening rod around here, and frequent Devil's Advocate, I will make a statement here. It is not a horrible thing to have electrolysis done without the practitioner wearing gloves. The added expense of gloves in a practice allows you peace of mind, in that you don't have to worry as much about the practitioner's hygiene, and the practitioner is less likely to get sick from any skin disease that you may have.

In general, those who don't use gloves, don't because they like to be able to feel the skin's surface, and have that help them find hairs that need to be removed.

While I do wear gloves, unless the client requests that I don't, I took the time to find a glove that I can feel the skin through. The Nuvo white vinyl glove from Dash Medical Gloves is thin and stretchable enough to allow me the gloveless sensation. They also have nytrile gloves that are just as thin.

#71439 - 03/20/10 07:36 PM Re: Should electrologists wear gloves? [Re: GirlHair]
Top 10 Contributor

It doesn't have to be the same machine. Any reputable machine that does thermolysis should be fine (so long as the operator is competent). If you REALLY want a great experience, look for an Apilus Platinum. It uses picoflash thermolysis (among other things) and I seriously can't even feel it.
10 hrs electrolysis on arms starting 01/30/10 (Apilus Platinum, synchro/picoflash)

#71443 - 03/20/10 09:57 PM Re: Should electrologists wear gloves? [Re: MagicalPrincessKitty]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
It's not a requirement in my book. As long as they wash their hands before they sit down to do electrolysis on me of course.

And, yes, if you start looking for someone else, just call around and ask whether they use thermolysis. The method where you hold a rod is usually either galvanic or blend.

#71454 - 03/21/10 12:25 AM Re: Should electrologists wear gloves? [Re: LAgirl]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
Keep in mind, if the person has a machine that has and auto-sensor, and that person uses the automatic mode, then one will still have to be in contact with a metal ground. It doesn't have to be wrapped in a soggy sponge, or covered in goop, but it must be in contact with your skin. This only allows the machine to sense the insertion, and give your worker the ability to work faster, which saves you money.

#71466 - 03/21/10 12:56 AM Re: Should electrologists wear gloves? [Re: James W. Walker VII]
bryce Offline
Major Contributor

I'm much more concerned with what the person does with their hands than whether they wear gloves. Answering the phone, opening doors, touching their face, or doing anything that could transfer bacteria to their hands and then to my open wounds is the real issue. A good wash of the hands and I'm satisfied.

#71475 - 03/21/10 01:47 AM Re: Should electrologists wear gloves? [Re: bryce]
Top 10 Contributor

Phones are absolute hotbeds of bacteria, too. The first electrologist I went to answered her phone at one point, but washed her hands afterward so hopefully yours did.

#71499 - 03/21/10 11:06 PM Re: Should electrologists wear gloves? [Re: MagicalPrincessKitty]
GirlHair Offline
Major Contributor

I don't know if she washes her hands. Do you see yours wash their hands to feel okay? Is it required in each state to wear gloves?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Can Diode Laser produce both 810 & 1064 nm?
by melb_aussie
Today at 01:09 AM
Considering electrolysis
by Zillah24
Yesterday at 09:16 PM
Lasting results
by Michael Bono
Yesterday at 07:39 PM
Before & After electrolysis photos!
by Stephgold
Yesterday at 06:56 PM
Current Laser/IPL Models
by melb_aussie
Yesterday at 02:48 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9616
James W. Walker VII 8050
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3189
Who's Online
1 registered (mw022), 95 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod