Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#77665 - 08/07/10 05:57 PM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: werty]
horo Offline
Contributor

Did anyone tried this? Is it effective?
I already bought glyzyrrhizic acid 75% dissolved it in hot water and when it cooled down it turned into a jelly.
I started applying it to my skin yesterday, I have had 4 treatments already, no side effects so far. But it did not remove a single hair, I guess I will have to be patient.
If anyone has tried glycyrrhizic acid as hair removal, please share your experience

Sponsored Links
#77669 - 08/07/10 11:58 PM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: horo]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Another reminder: This ingredient, which is found in licorice, can cause side effects such as increased blood pressure and edema. It can disrupt the balance of the corticosteroids as well.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#77683 - 08/09/10 04:56 AM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: horo]
jonas Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
You bought glyzyrrhizic acid or powdered licorice extract that supposedly has 75% glyzyrrhizic acid?

In any case, glyzyrrhizic acid is supposedly not very soluble in water, which is why most extractions use a different solvent, perhaps a 30%/70% ethanol / water mixture.

I'm a but skeptical about the glyzyrrhizic acid content of some products. For example, this one claims 98% for $14 per 30g. But if you buy the chemical from a chemical supply at the same purity level, it's hundreds of dollars for a few milligrams. And the methods of concentrating the acid are not easy or cheap.

There is a thread here in polish where people describe their experiences with this brew. Mixed results, but it doesn't seem like many of them know what they're doing.

#77684 - 08/09/10 07:15 AM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: jonas]
horo Offline
Contributor

Regarding the purity of the glycyrrhizic acid as far as I know there are two methods for analyzing - HPLC and UV.
If you buy 98% HPLC - this mean that you have almost 100% pure acid. I bought 98% UV - which mean that the purity of the acid is approximately 74-75 %.
I'm from Eastern Europe and managed to find some chemical compound supplier in Europe, but they were unwilling to sell small quantities, beside the price was very very high.
All these European suppliers buy glycyrrhizic acid from China manufacturers, so I contacted as many Chinese manufacturers as possible and ask them for quotations. Some of them offered me prices of 350 usd for 0.200 kg, but most of them gave me prices of 120 usd (including shipping). So I bought 200 g 98% UV- it is white powder and according to the information in the internet you can dissolve it either in hot water or in ethanol.
I'm dissolving it in hot water and when it cool down it turn into a jelly. When you apply this jelly to your skin it is a bit sticky.
Thanks for the polish forum link. As I don't speak polish I used google to translate it, still I'm not sure I got the meaning of most of the posts. But I think that some of the forumers explain that the acid actually do not irritate their skin which I can confirm.
This is a third day since I started treating my skin with glycyrrhizic acid and again not a single hair has been removed. One girl in Polish forum says that she has used the acid after epilation and the hair growth had been reduced with 30% if I had understood correctly. I will try this too, I will report results later.
Regards

#77686 - 08/09/10 12:23 PM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: horo]
Arlene R. Batz, CPE Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York City - Queens
It would be very interesting to see what your results are. We have been using glycyrrhizic acid in skin care for years on people with hyperpigmentation because it inhibits melanin synthesis and so far, we have not seen any change in hair growth in areas where electrolysis is not being done. Darkened skin lightens but we haven't even noticed any effect on the pigment of hair.

#80645 - 12/01/10 02:34 AM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: werty]
keniacrz21 Offline

If it works without any side effect let me know then I'll try.

#81675 - 01/07/11 09:26 PM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: keniacrz21]
ahto Offline

has anyone tryed yet?

#89020 - 06/23/11 07:09 AM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: ahto]
horo Offline
Contributor

Yes, I tried it. It works !!!!!!!
But you have to remove the hairs from the roots and apply it regularily.
Beside it made my skin on the face beautiful, before I started using the acid it was sooooo oily.
I'm buying my glycyrrhizic acid from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180686207309&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_949

Edited by horo (06/23/11 07:13 AM)

#90144 - 07/22/11 07:52 AM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: horo]
Swoosh Offline

Horo -

When you say "it works", to what extent? Like percentage wise how much less hair would you say you have now and how long have you used the product for?

#115781 - 10/08/14 02:35 PM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: Swoosh]
jonas Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Apologies for resurrecting a dead thread, but I found it interesting that some newer papers appear to have duplicated results documented in the original article(s). For example: Topically applied glycyrrhzic acid causes hair removal in rats. At first, I thought this was just a rehash of the original research, but it looks like the authors, location, and other details are different. Unfortunately, according to the article regrowth after long-term use was only reduced by about 20%, which might be hard to even notice unless used somewhere like the scalp.

I tried mixing up some glycyyhzic acid in a solution of ethanol a while back, but ended up with something that was unusable because it was as hard as a rock at room temperature. Perhaps the ammonium salt would be a more suitable component.

One of the kind of interesting things about the latest report is that the solution was applied with a toothbrush. Although this doesn't explicitly state that hair didn't need to be epilated first, it suggests perhaps an easier method of application than has been tried before.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Hair on Penis Shaft: IPL or Laser?
by Tyler12
Today at 06:02 AM
Electrolysis + IPL? (when IPL caused hair growth)
by sunshine27
Yesterday at 08:00 PM
Beard Electrolysis
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 06:06 PM
PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail
by The Dowager
03/24/17 04:12 PM
Find an electrologist in East Anglia
by h56ty
03/23/17 11:56 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9438
James W. Walker VII 8023
Andrea 4145
Michael Bono 3051
Who's Online
0 registered (), 100 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod