Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#115783 - 10/08/14 06:15 PM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: jonas]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Quotes from the article and my comments:

>Article: "Interestingly, long-term treatment reduced the regrowth of hair of about 20%."

QUESTION: "Long term" is used to describe the TREATMENT; not the "long term RESULTS." A quick read, and you get the wrong idea.

So, for how long did they maintain the 20% reduction? Six months, 2-years? I suppose they are saying you have to continue using the solution ceaselessly? What happens once you stop? (Oh, I know ... it all grows back!)

>Article: "Examination by scanning electron microscopy showed a smoothed hair cuticle that might facilitate detachment of the hair shaft from the follicular wall."

COMMENT: Detachment of the hair shaft has nothing to do with any effect on the follicle. It's the follicle that grows the hair. The hair is essentially dead tissue.

If you are looking for permanent hair removal (or reduction) this ain't gonna do it. There are specific reasons why no rub-on is ever going to remove a hair permanently. Not happening ... Stop looking for the "easy fix!" (Unless, of course, you want to buy it from me.)

Recommendation: EAT the licorice (a "Droopja" if you can find it. Yum ...)

Sponsored Links
#115784 - 10/09/14 01:11 AM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: Michael Bono]
jonas Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: Michael Bono
Quotes from the article and my comments:

Recommendation: EAT the licorice (a "Droopja" if you can find it. Yum ...)

That might help, because eating relatively small amounts of licorice can almost half the serum testosterone in men. It can also raise blood pressure substantially and is thought to effect estrogen receptors more strongly than estradiol. Not a good food to consume for most men.

#115786 - 10/09/14 09:24 AM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: jonas]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Good for you ... Bad for you

If you've "been around" long enough, like me, you realize (if you wait long enough) that the foods and supplements that were "bad for you" suddenly become "good for you" ... but then might become "bad for you again!" It can drive you crazy.

Vitamin E ... good for you, now bad for you. Vitamin D ... bad for you, now good again. EGGS ... very bad; but now okay and good. Red Meat ... the worst ever ... but now (good in appropriate doses). Vitamin C ... in mega-doses? Same deal.

Butter ... BAD ... margarine better. Oooops, now just the reverse. Eat more tuna and salmon (for low-T), but watch out for the mercury; bad. Coffee ... BAD ... now good to prevent Alzheimer's ... but, wait ... maybe not so good again (other problems).

What the hell am I saying?

Bottom line: if you are looking for a FOOD to remove (or reduce your hair growth) it's probably not going to happen. Eating licorice is "lovely" ... but chances are it will do ZIP for your hair problems.

Same with any lotion ... NOT happening. (Add in here the ridiculous "home devices.") Still, people will try the quick (inexpensive) fixes in a futile attempt that "food or supplements" ... or some lotion or "painless home unit" ... will help. It won't!

You're just wasting your time; just "pissing in the wind." Get to the REAL procedures that actually work.

#115787 - 10/09/14 01:48 PM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: Michael Bono]
Helen1983 Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Natural black licorice is what I eat love the stuff lol I read a long time ago licorice is good at reducing facial hair, stop taking it though and the effects wear off.

I eat it because I enjoy it, however not in large amounts just as a treat. Too much Licorice is not good and can thin you blood do not start taking licorice in large amounts if bad for anyone in large quantities and especially if you have a heart issue or close family members who have.

Licorice may help but any effects from it will only be minimal so don't hold it out to be the ultimate cure.

Edited by Helen1983 (10/09/14 02:11 PM)

#115985 - 10/28/14 02:05 AM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: Helen1983]
jonas Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Found the whole article (w/ pics) here:
Topically applied glycyrrhizic acid causes hair removal in rats

The electron microscope pictures of the control and experiment hair cuticle is very interesting, and the epilation effect on the rats is pretty impressive. The article's authors speculate that the epilation effect could be caused either by &#946;-1 integrin metabolism changes in the presence of glycyrrhizic acid or by an anti-steroid effect in follicle cells which are known to be sensitive to sex steroids.

#115987 - 10/28/14 08:35 AM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: werty]
Proudmoore Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Would it be better to just read around on the web than try on yourself or - even worse - try on your pet? It's a fairly new study so do you really want to be test subject? What if it makes you feel bad? Or else, what is it burns you? Is it really worth it? I suggest waiting and let more tests to be conducted.

#115989 - 10/28/14 09:15 AM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: Proudmoore]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

#115990 - 10/28/14 09:16 AM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: Michael Bono]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

#115991 - 10/28/14 09:16 AM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: Michael Bono]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

DAMN HAIRTELL!

#115992 - 10/28/14 09:17 AM Re: Licorice extract interesting!! [Re: Michael Bono]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Advice for customers.
by Michael Bono
11:36 AM
Letting too much time pass between sessions
by Roselake21
07:19 AM
Electrolysis on legs
by Roselake21
05:17 PM
Before & After electrolysis photos!
by Roselake21
05:16 PM
In need of some feedback
by angelfeather
12/09/17 07:22 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9611
James W. Walker VII 8049
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3181
Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod