Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#73738 - 05/05/10 01:49 AM Many home use devices are scams!
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Los Angeles
Please be cautious when considering a purchase of a home use laser device from hair removal. Many of them are sold by disreputable companies and do not work as claimed.

#73889 - 05/06/10 01:36 PM Re: Many home use devices are scams! [Re: Andrea]
KimFoxx Offline
Contributor

I agree. It would be great if we could get a list of devices that users have had success with... or maybe a review on the good ones?

#73893 - 05/06/10 01:52 PM Re: Many home use devices are scams! [Re: KimFoxx]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
No Home Use light based systems offer anything near what professional systems deliver. This is why we recommend the do it yourself types get professional electrolysis equipment and trade work on each other.

#75521 - 06/16/10 01:12 AM Re: Many home use devices are scams! [Re: James W. Walker VII]
Bluebottle Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Sommerset, UK
The Rio one I used seems to have darkened and coarsened the hairs on the sides of my face and cheeks; they are very much more noticeable now.

#78410 - 09/10/10 04:36 AM Re: Many home use devices are scams! [Re: James W. Walker VII]
laurafranchesci Offline

I really wish that people would post about their experiences with a home IPL machine. Real postings where they give the name and how effective it was. I was considering an IPL machine from China since I could use it for general dermatology also, but I am terrified of spending over $3000 and it not working. So before I make a purchase like that I need some serious input. Thanks.

#78422 - 09/10/10 02:22 PM Re: Many home use devices are scams! [Re: laurafranchesci]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
How much more serious input can we give you?
Even in the hands of a professional, a real IPL is not the most effective thing to use. How much less effective would one of these mail order jobs be?

I would wager that if I had a picture of your treatment area, that I could probably see where you could do all you need done with $3,000 via electrolysis, under the right conditions.

#78450 - 09/12/10 05:38 AM Re: Many home use devices are scams! [Re: James W. Walker VII]
laurafranchesci Offline

I appreciate your reply and understand that IPL may not be the best method for permanent hair removal. I should be more clear by saying that my goal for purchasing an IPL machine is to treat a variety of conditions related to skin, in addition to hair removal. Hair removal wouldn't be the only condition being treated. I have had numerous IPL treatments on my skin and noticed that the hair in that area did not grow back as thick, nor did it grow back as quickly. It did come back like normal after several months. However, over time, and with more IPL treatments for skin conditions, the hair became less and less dense. Now my hair is much better, although not gone. However, the IPL treatments were not designed for hair removal, it was just a side-effect of treating the skin. I'm sure that using IPL specifically for hair removal would produce even better results than I saw. I'm sure you are correct with your statements that electrolysis is more effective for hair removal. Thank you again for your reply and honest feedback.

#78992 - 10/02/10 09:13 PM Re: Many home use devices are scams! [Re: laurafranchesci]
BRENTMICHAEL Offline

Please HELP what device for at home use is the BEST for removal of hair for a male Price is not an issue

#79259 - 10/11/10 03:33 AM Re: Many home use devices are scams! [Re: Andrea]
lindagrindle Offline

Yes this is very good advice...many at home products do not work and should really be taken off the market. Do your research so you don't make a mistake.

#82249 - 01/24/11 09:41 PM Re: Many home use devices are scams! [Re: lindagrindle]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
The goal is true IPL or laser treatments is to remove hair permanently. If you didn't achieve that with numerous treatments that you describe, what you had wasn't very effective. And with a home machine or a $3K machine from China, you's see even less results.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Letting too much time pass between sessions
by Roselake21
Today at 05:46 PM
Advice for customers.
by Michael Bono
Today at 11:36 AM
Electrolysis on legs
by Roselake21
Yesterday at 05:17 PM
Before & After electrolysis photos!
by Roselake21
Yesterday at 05:16 PM
In need of some feedback
by angelfeather
12/09/17 07:22 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9611
James W. Walker VII 8049
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3183
Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod