consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#77148 - 07/24/10 05:43 PM Legal protection against electrologist malpractice
candela Offline
Top 20 Contributor

I have looked on Hairtell and Hairfacts and do not find information on what legal options there are for victims of malpractice by electrologists, except for where Andrea says that in states where electrologists are licensed, consumers have some form of redress. Does anybody know about this? There have been so many posts from people who have been scarred or had their looks ruined. Does anyone have experience with trying to get something done about it?

Thread Sponsors
#77150 - 07/24/10 07:05 PM Re: Legal protection against electrologist malpractice [Re: candela]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
A lot of posters confuse temporary skin effects with scarring. Scarring is rare. People that do electrolysis on themselves are more likely to make permanent scars.

Electrologists carry malpractice insurance, at least, they should. I don't know what the procedures are to make a claim. I had heard that there are few claims as electrolysis is a pretty low risk procedure, but I am not sure of the real statistics. Try to discuss this with the electrologist first. It may be the better solution.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#77153 - 07/24/10 07:59 PM Re: Legal protection against electrologist malpractice [Re: dfahey]
candela Offline
Top 20 Contributor

In my experience it is not a good idea to discuss things like this with people except sometimes in writing. People do disgusting things because all they care about is their own self-interest. I'm sure most people on this board already know that. It's how the world works.

There've been quite a few people who posted that they were scarred long enough back for it not to be temporary. There's also ivmi who had scars on her eyebrows and beepsix whose hairline was ruined off the top of my head. If anyone has experience in dealing with electrologist malpractice or knows someone who does, please post some information here. I can't believe there hasn't been any information provided on this topic before.

#77156 - 07/25/10 01:45 AM Re: Legal protection against electrologist malpractice [Re: candela]
127 Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Bay Area
Mary Lou the so called electrologist from San Jose left a permanent scar at my upper lip. This is very small obviously and appears clearly when I have hair around that scar, as now hair do not grow on that scar. It took me 6 months of hiding it under the sun screen to get rid of the blackness of this scar. I used to dab it with a lot of sunscreen while driving. Now its almost my skin color.
LHR Underarms (1) 40J/40ms/12mm (2) 40J/30ms/12mm (3) 50J/30ms/12mm
LHR Full Bikini (1) 40J/40ms/12mm (2) 40J/30ms/12mm

#77157 - 07/25/10 02:08 AM Re: Legal protection against electrologist malpractice [Re: 127]
emilily Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
The whinning is becoming a bit overbearing, especially since you don't seem to be taking anyones advice on board, rather refuting any advice they try to give.

Why not go to a consumer affairs board, speak to your electrologist, speak to a lawyer, or go to the licensing board for electrology if your state has one. Do something. Do your own research instead of expecting everyone else to do it for you, if you don't value their suggestions.

Current (Apilus Platinum):
Chin and upper lip, sides of face: Starting 30/08/13 760 minutes
Tummy: 1 hr 21/09, 1 hr 30/09/13, 1.5 13/01/14, 1.5 08/04/14
Chest, underarm: 2 hr 12/10 underarm: 1 hr 21/10/13, 1.5 hours 12/12/13, 1.5 hours 11/02/14

#77170 - 07/25/10 10:53 AM Re: Legal protection against electrologist malpractice [Re: emilily]
candela Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Your post is rude and makes a lot of assumptions. I will remind you that we are all free to choose which posts we read here.

When people make suggestions that I know are not as informed as they could be, I add the information I've found from my own research so that other readers will not be misinformed.

When an electrologist with a conflict of interest gives advice that could expose malpractice victims to further victimization, I will also speak up. In legal matters you need to get everything documented in writing.

The purpose of this thread is to provide people with information on how to protect themselves against malpractice by electrologists. It's unacceptable and irresponsible that this information does not already exist anywhere on the site. If anyone has experience fighting electrologist malpractice, please share information here.

#77172 - 07/25/10 11:48 AM Re: Legal protection against electrologist malpractice [Re: candela]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Emilily is speaking up, too, whether you think she is rude or not, she has a right to say what she thinks.

I'm with you candela. I would like this information as well. To everyone that has had poor electrolysis outcome, tell candela all about any malpractice claims made against your electrologist(s) here. No detail is too small, but do leave personal information out of the mix.

One thing to consider, candela, if you get few or no responses, perhaps there have been very few claims spread out over the 150 years of electrologys existence. It is a low risk procedure as compared to other cosmetic treatments out there like cosmetic facial surgery and fillers. I'd be happy to know the extent that there are claims because I have never seen any statistics in this regard and would be curious to learn something here. The insurer would know for sure, but I'm not sure whether that is information they would give out.

Documentation is very important to you and that is easily solvable. Compose a letter to your electrologist, state the facts with dates, add some pictures and tell her what you expect of her. Ask her to respond by a certain date and see where it goes from there. Send it by registered mail. Lawsuits are painful, time-consuming and costly for both sides and because of that, trying to work it out between the parties makes sense as a first step.

Now that's the best I can offer. I am not an attorney, just going on common sense here. I know you are very upset about your eyebrows and I hope the best for you as you struggle to work through this.

Hugs....
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#77175 - 07/25/10 01:20 PM Re: Legal protection against electrologist malpractice [Re: candela]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Originally Posted By: candela
I have looked on Hairtell and Hairfacts and do not find information on what legal options there are for victims of malpractice by electrologists, except for where Andrea says that in states where electrologists are licensed, consumers have some form of redress. Does anybody know about this? There have been so many posts from people who have been scarred or had their looks ruined. Does anyone have experience with trying to get something done about it?

DON'T WANT CANDELA'S REQUEST TO GET LOST. PLEASE COME FORWARD. ANYONE??
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#77176 - 07/25/10 01:21 PM Re: Legal protection against electrologist malpractice [Re: dfahey]
candela Offline
Top 20 Contributor

I would not advise anyone to send a letter to the person who committed a crime against them without first getting some kind of legal counsel. dfahey has a conflict of interest here and people should remember that before taking her advice.

People should use their own judgment as to whether to include personal information. Identifying the electrologist that injured you could help other people avoid having the same thing happen to them.

There are plenty of stories online about how people were scarred or had their looks ruined by electrologists. If people don't report their electrologists, that likely has something to do with the stigma of unwanted hair. If you are a victim of malpractice and didn't take action against your electrologist, it would still be helpful to others to share your experience.

#77178 - 07/25/10 01:50 PM Re: Legal protection against electrologist malpractice [Re: candela]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

What is my conflict of interest? I would say this if you lost all your hair because a hair stylist used the wrong chemicals to dye your hair. You really better be careful or your undoing may come from your own hands. I still feel sorry for you, but for other reasons now in addition to your thin eyebrows.

Why waste time waiting for others to come forward? Call an attorney tomorrow and get on with it.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Andrea, James W. Walker VII 
Sponsored Sidebar Links
Recent Posts
Please let me worship you AEA?
by SeanaTG
Today at 01:06 PM
Dectro endorsement
by Michael Bono
Today at 12:34 PM
Results in lower back.
by depilacionelectr
Yesterday at 04:33 PM
New from Dectro ?
by Gretchen0b
Yesterday at 03:40 PM
Should hair fall out 3 weeks after IPL?
by Helen1983
04/22/14 04:34 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 8584
James W. Walker VII 7985
Andrea 4045
depilacionelectr 2476
Who's Online
3 registered (Jx92, seattleguy1980, 1 invisible), 76 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod