Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#80702 - 12/02/10 06:42 PM How many hours for first clearance of upper lip?
Caith721 Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Charlotte, NC, US
Average hours, I mean. I have fair skin (Irish) and a medium-to-average beard, thinner in some spots than others. A picture is attached. I'm just trying to get a reasonable expectation without having to ask my personal electrologist and putting her on the spot for an answer.

Edited by Caith721 (12/02/10 07:03 PM)
Edit Reason: Used PhotoBucket

Thread Sponsors
#80708 - 12/02/10 11:43 PM Re: How many hours for first clearance of upper lip? [Re: Caith721]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
It depends on the skill of your electrologist. Calculate the number of hairs and estimate that they can remove 5-10 hairs per minute using thermolysis method.

#80714 - 12/03/10 03:16 AM Re: How many hours for first clearance of upper lip? [Re: LAgirl]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Personally, I could strip most of the hairs on your upper lip in about 90 minutes using PicoFlash thermolysis. The trade off would be a swollen upper lip for three days or less. You would probably want a topical numbing cream for the middle part under the nose. You can also choose to strip the hair away toward first, full clearance by having a couple of thinnings over 2-4 weeks. Not all electrologists are comfortable with a plan like this because they don't have the set up or the strategy down. That's okay, we all have different paths that lead to permanent hair removal. If one is doing blend electrolysis, it will take more time as the probe is in the follicle for several seconds and you can not strip all the hair off in one to four sessions, most likely.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#80718 - 12/03/10 11:03 AM Re: How many hours for first clearance of upper lip? [Re: dfahey]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
I am with Dee on this one. Give me 3 hours and I could remove both your upper and lower lip hairs. You might look like a duck for a little while, and then like the lion man Ron Pearlman played in The Beauty & The Beast TV show for a day or so, but you would have bare skin, and be presentable to the public in no time.

If your practitioner likes to spread it out more, and, or uses blend or galvanic, you could spend many hours, and many weeks thinning this out.

#80722 - 12/03/10 02:55 PM Re: How many hours for first clearance of upper lip? [Re: James W. Walker VII]
Caith721 Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Thank you everyone for your responses. My electrologist is reasonably well-skilled, and required only 30 minutes to treat both the upper and lower lip lines last week, with very little inflammation or swelling. She uses an Apilus SX-500 and easily treats 10 to 15 hairs per minute. I estimated it might require three to four hours, especially because of the sensitivity in this area. I'll accept the trade-off between paying for more hours and experiencing less swelling. For the initial treatment last weekend, I took one Benadryl (diphenhydramine/antihistamine) and half a Vicodin before the appointment. She also used numbing gel, and the worst I felt was very minor discomfort at each follicle, not really pain at all.

#80723 - 12/03/10 03:19 PM Re: How many hours for first clearance of upper lip? [Re: Caith721]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

All sounds good for you! Keep moving forward.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#80729 - 12/03/10 06:42 PM Re: How many hours for first clearance of upper lip? [Re: dfahey]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
As long as the hair slides out without resistance, you are on your way.

#80792 - 12/06/10 02:01 PM Re: How many hours for first clearance of upper lip? [Re: LAgirl]
Caith721 Offline

Top 10 Contributor

It seems the follicles in my upper lip are coarser and deeper than expected, and also slightly curved/bent. frown Fortunately, they're not so dense. smile After a slow start Saturday morning, things began to move more quickly and the outer 1/3 of each side is now clear. I advised the electrologist my pain/discomfort level was a maximum 2 of 10 at most, and if she was having any issues getting the whiskers to release, she was welcome to raise the settings. She did, but I still have almost ZERO swelling or inflammation afterward. Either the Benadryl is working a lot better than I expected, or the Apilus machine is just that damned good, as is the electrologist. At the least, I expected more redness and I've been very pleasantly surprised. laugh

#80794 - 12/06/10 02:30 PM Re: How many hours for first clearance of upper lip? [Re: Caith721]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

It takes both - great skill coupled with great equipment equals great outcome. All sounds GREAT for you Caith.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#81128 - 12/17/10 09:03 PM Re: How many hours for first clearance of upper lip? [Re: dfahey]
Caith721 Offline

Top 10 Contributor

FYI, the two largest issues I had after last Saturday's treatment were bruising in one tiny spot on my lower lip, and razor burn when I shaved two days after treatment. I don't consider either of those a real problem. My tendency towards occasional razor burn is one of the primary reasons I'm having this hair removed.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Letting too much time pass between sessions
by Roselake21
10:51 AM
Advice for customers.
by Michael Bono
10:48 AM
Electrolysis on legs
by Roselake21
12/10/17 05:17 PM
Before & After electrolysis photos!
by Roselake21
12/10/17 05:16 PM
In need of some feedback
by angelfeather
12/09/17 07:22 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9611
James W. Walker VII 8049
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3183
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 97 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod