Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#82648 - 02/05/11 01:45 PM Question about Treatment Intervals
coco45 Offline

Hello, this is my first post. I had laser treatments a few years ago on my face and arms, but last week was my first Full Leg treatment with the Soprano XL.

When it came time to schedule my next appointment, the technician told me to come back in 5 weeks. I asked her why so soon, and she informed that that the Soprano "damages" the hair follicle "gradually" and so I will need multiple treatments on the same follicles to damage them until growth permanently stops. (Sort of like electrolysis?). She said other treatment centers recommend intervals of "6-8 weeks" for laser hair removal but seemingly scoffed at that notion.

To my knowledge, this isn't how laser hair removal works, and my treatments should be more spaced out. I listened to her and scheduled my next appoint 5 weeks from now but with a different technician.

Should I move the appointment back?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
#82726 - 02/07/11 03:21 PM Re: Question about Treatment Intervals [Re: ]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
Legs have very long hair cycles. If your treatments are going well, you shouldn't have much to treat at 5 weeks, or even 8 weeks. Legs can wait 12 weeks or so.

If you want to get the most for your money, I'd just call and schedule the appts when you feel you're ready to come in. Not necessary to argue with her. Many techs just repeat whatever their machine salesperson tells them. And a lot of that has to do with making more money.

This isn't the best machine out there as mentioned. If you're not stuck in a package, I'd also recommend looking around for a better investment.

Let us know how shedding goes. You should be seeing that 3 weeks after each treatment.

#82739 - 02/07/11 10:40 PM Re: Question about Treatment Intervals [Re: LAgirl]
Ennovi Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Ditto to what everyone says. A friend of mine started the same area with the Soprano machine. The clinic told her to come every 6 weeks...she has not seen results after 3 treatments! She did not experience any shedding after any of the treatments and she was not aware she was supposed to until I spoke to her about it.

After I talked with her, she felt very bad that she wasn't properly informed by the clinic of what to expect and how LHR really works.

I say run far away from this place if you can!
Lower Arms- 6 treatment with LightAge Epicare Duo- Alexandrite
Upper legs- 5 treatment with LightAge Epicare Duo- Alexandrite
Bikini- 4 treatments with LightAge Epicare Duo- Alexandrite
Lower Legs- LightSheer Diode (2005-2008)- DONE

#82741 - 02/08/11 12:53 AM Re: Question about Treatment Intervals [Re: Ennovi]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I'd go a little further to say run far away from this place, but complain FIRST and try to get a refund.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#82742 - 02/08/11 01:35 AM Re: Question about Treatment Intervals [Re: dfahey]
coco45 Offline

Thanks for the info! I've read mixed reviews about the Soprano XL on this board.

The clinic has other lasers which can be used on me, but the technician told me that she thinks the Soprano is the best one.

(There is a no refund policy at this medspa. I can only apply the money I've paid to other treatments. I bought a package for the full legs...)

#82756 - 02/08/11 04:36 PM Re: Question about Treatment Intervals [Re: ]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

What machines do they have? Can you post the names? Also, what is your skin type?

#82942 - 02/14/11 05:56 AM Re: Question about Treatment Intervals [Re: coco45]
mad1 Offline
Contributor

I got quotes from 3 places that use the candela gentlelase and they all said that 6 weeks is the recommended time interval for underarm laser hair removal. One of them said that even if not much hair has come back in 6 weeks it is recommended because new hair will be in the growth stage by this time.

CAn someone also please tell me why all of the treated hair is meant to fall out within 3 weeks, I thought it was just the hair in the growth stage that was meant to fall out, and not all of it would be in the growth stage at one time.

#82950 - 02/14/11 03:04 PM Re: Question about Treatment Intervals [Re: ]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Laser is attracted to dark pigment. Anagen phase of growth lasts for a few weeks. It's in your best interest to wait a bit longer after the hair first comes out because it gets more dark and coarse. There is no benefit to treating earlier. You're just going to miss some hair that hasn't grown in yet.

And no, all treated hair should shed, regardless of its phase.

#83014 - 02/16/11 05:50 AM Re: Question about Treatment Intervals [Re: LAgirl]
coco45 Offline

Thank you. It's been 2 weeks and 5 days. About 30% of the hair has shed. More so on my upper legs (60% gone) than my lower legs. I will call later this week and find out about their other machines.

#83016 - 02/16/11 06:22 AM Re: Question about Treatment Intervals [Re: coco45]
isshevital Offline

I have a question which is quite related to this and figured it would be better to ask here rather than start my own thread. The clinic I'm considering has a unique system, where if you buy 4 treatments, you get an entire year of treatments on that area. They told me that they do treatments spaced 6 weeks apart, so if I went in every 6 weeks for a year (8 treatments) would this be much different than waiting longer between treatments (for a total of maybe 5 or 6 treatments)? It would seem that the greater amount of treatments would make up for not quite waiting long enough in between. Although I am interested in doing brazilian bikini, so less treatments also means less sessions of baring it all and getting painfully zapped in delicate places!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Feeling tired after electrolysis sessions
by Michael Bono
35 minutes 46 seconds ago
Journey of a young French lady
by adrien_sanchiz
Today at 07:34 AM
should i continue laser hair removal?
by skydivingjess
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
prominent sebaceous glands: can hair removal help?
by Michael Bono
10/16/17 10:59 PM
Electrolysis and Hydroquinone
by Arlene R. Batz, CPE
10/15/17 06:16 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9586
James W. Walker VII 8041
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3157
Who's Online
0 registered (), 102 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod