consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#84060 - 03/08/11 08:13 AM what will skin look like after electrolysis
mad1 Offline
Contributor

I understand that people's skin will react differently, but usually how red is the skin after electrolysis, and how long might it stay red, also are there any other effects that usually happen? I am mostly interested in the upper lip. Any photos would be appreciated. Also do you think that electrolysis or laser causes more noticible temporary effects such as redness?

Thread Sponsors
#84073 - 03/08/11 01:48 PM Re: what will skin look like after electrolysis [Re: mad1]
Barbara_CPE Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Kansas
The redness after electrolysis will vary depending on your skin.

The reaction can range from no change in appearance to slightly pink to bright red. The reaction can be compared to a mosquito bite, which might be pink and puffy for a short period of time.

Often, the pinkness/redness is subsiding before you even walk out of the office door.

The electrologist might send you home with a little package of ice, a cotton square with witch hazel, or nothing!

I can only speak of electrolysis and I haven't taken any pictures, but that is a good idea!

#84075 - 03/08/11 02:03 PM Re: what will skin look like after electrolysis [Re: Barbara_CPE]
Johnson Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Originally Posted By: Barbara_CPE
The redness after electrolysis will vary depending on your skin.

The reaction can range from no change in appearance to slightly pink to bright red. The reaction can be compared to a mosquito bite, which might be pink and puffy for a short period of time.

Often, the pinkness/redness is subsiding before you even walk out of the office door.

The electrologist might send you home with a little package of ice, a cotton square with witch hazel, or nothing!

I can only speak of electrolysis and I haven't taken any pictures, but that is a good idea!

Wait so best case scenario you leave the clinic smooth with no hair(as it was treated during the treatment) and your skin looks fine as well? Basicely you won't have to worry about being hair in between treatments or do i have this wrong

#84081 - 03/08/11 03:14 PM Re: what will skin look like after electrolysis [Re: Johnson]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Yes, exactly as Barbara said. If you get the noticeable hairs cleared asap and keep clearing noticeable hairs each and every visit, you will look like you never grew hair there and will get at least 3 weeks of looking smooth in between treatments. Several months later, there will be little, if nothing to treat, because electrolysis is PERMANENT!

I treated a 26 year olds virgin upper lip vellus hairs yesterday for 68 minutes. She is 85% cleared with the remaining hair being in the middle under the nose area. The area was slightly swollen and slightly pink. I used an Apilus Platinum, PicoFlash thermolysis and a size 2 probe. Totally and amazingly awesome. She walk out the door with a skin reaction that will barely be noticeable in an hour to as long as a day. Speed can be deadly with some of the newer modern epilators in 2011 and this litte girl appreciates the relief of getting the hair off asap.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#84096 - 03/08/11 04:51 PM Re: what will skin look like after electrolysis [Re: dfahey]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
I agree, I have had people who have done the full first clearance, and from there come in every 3 to 4 weeks and simply stop all other hair removal methods from that point forward.

#84121 - 03/08/11 09:10 PM Re: what will skin look like after electrolysis [Re: James W. Walker VII]
mad1 Offline
Contributor

I have heard that some people get scabbing after electrolysis. Is this very rare or common?

#84122 - 03/08/11 09:24 PM Re: what will skin look like after electrolysis [Re: mad1]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: London, UK
^I'd say it's more common than not (not every electrologist is as skilled as our HairTell ones) but it really depends.

I have blend performed on my face and don't experience scabbing. But blend or thermolysis on the body does result in scabs.

But they are usually (or, should be) very tiny and drop of fairly quickly without leaving any kind of mark.
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to date, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

#84157 - 03/08/11 11:31 PM Re: what will skin look like after electrolysis [Re: James W. Walker VII]
gamer_chic Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Eastern Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: James W. Walker VII
I agree, I have had people who have done the full first clearance, and from there come in every 3 to 4 weeks and simply stop all other hair removal methods from that point forward.

So is it bad if you have to come in every week or is that normal?

#84160 - 03/08/11 11:41 PM Re: what will skin look like after electrolysis [Re: gamer_chic]
Barbara_CPE Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Kansas
No, it's not bad to have weekly treatments.

Frequent tweezing cases often need weekly appointments to start out.

#84163 - 03/08/11 11:59 PM Here's an actual example - me. [Re: Barbara_CPE]
Caith721 Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Charlotte, NC, US
Here's my upper lip after being treated weekly for two weeks. I have pale, sensitive Irish skin, and we're removing a male mustache using an Apilus Senior II machine and flash thermolysis. This picture was taken two and a half days after treatment last week, with flash at a distance of about six inches, so it's definitely "warts and all". It's important to understand that I value this as an exceptionally good result, despite there still being some residual swelling and minor redness beneath my nose. When washing my face later that night, at a distance of two feet from the mirror, all of this was not really visible.

To view the full-size image, right-click and select "view image".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
A Tale of Two Electrolygists
by Iluv2zap
01:03 PM
Newbie With a Few Questions
by Michael Bono
08:39 PM
Back hair treatment schedule
by coolie
01:30 PM
Advice: Should I switch to someone who uses blend?
by Josefa M. Reina
06:52 AM
Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning!
by Ton
01/19/18 03:14 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9633
James W. Walker VII 8052
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3225
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod