Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#100735 - 08/21/12 03:27 PM Re: Spironolactone * [Re: mumbaigirl]
WeRNotAfraid Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Dallas
The amount of reduction varies tremendously over my body. My arms used to be very, very hairy but now are almost hair-free in places and what does remain is fine and blond. The hair on my legs, however, is but little changed. The effect on my facial hair seemed to be pretty sudden; it stopped growing in as much, came in lighter, and disappeared much quicker with electrolysis. I would estimate it took about 150 to 200 hours max to remove my facial hair, but most of that was done before I ever did anything hormonal. All I have now on my face is peach fuzz, which is hair you do not want to remove lest you look waxy. I'm actually adding anti-androgens to my regimen again to see if I can reduce body hair growth yet more. Though my testosterone levels are very low, there is some evidence that anti-androgens can still reduce hair even in the absence of hormonal issues. Why is unclear.

Sponsored Links
#101862 - 10/19/12 06:22 AM Re: Spironolactone [Re: mumbaigirl]
team90 Offline
Contributor

Mumbagirl and Wenotafraid, what is the dosage of spiro you were taking?

I also have excess hair growth and the endocrinologist prescribed me 50mg/day of spiro and diane-35. I read on several forums which say that 50mg is a low dosage and it should be around 100-200mg per day.

Edited by team90 (10/19/12 06:24 AM)

#101864 - 10/19/12 10:33 AM Re: Spironolactone [Re: team90]
mumbaigirl Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Remember Diane-35 contains cyproterone acetate which is a potent anti-androgen. Spironolactone 50mg/d sounds fine in combination with Diane-35.

I took 50mg/d for the 1st 2-3 months, 100mg/d for the next 7 months and achieved 30% reduction in thickness of the hair. There hasn't been any noticeable reduction since (even though my dosage has doubled to 200mg/d).

#101885 - 10/20/12 12:39 AM Re: Spironolactone [Re: mumbaigirl]
team90 Offline
Contributor

Thank you so much for your reponse. I have been terribly depressed with all this hair. I am running low on money since I have to pay my tuition for school so I cannot afford any LHR or electrolysis at the moment. These drugs are covered through my university insurance since so this is the only thing I can afford right now. I will start these medications and keep you updated.

I read that everyone responds differently to these drugs. Do you think it's possible that I achieve a greater reduction in hair than you? Did you see any of the hair completly falling out and not growing back?

#101892 - 10/20/12 07:51 AM Re: Spironolactone [Re: team90]
mumbaigirl Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Very much possible. Most people do achieve around 50% reduction in thickness of the hair within one year of starting the drugs.

You might need several years of therapy to see hair completely falling out. (I think it just gets vellus and unnoticeable)

#101903 - 10/20/12 04:23 PM Re: Spironolactone [Re: mumbaigirl]
team90 Offline
Contributor

Thank you for your help mumbagirl. It seems that the prescribed drugs forum doesn't have much people posting on them which makes me wonder ^_^

I will most likely get some LHR when I do have the money but I know that will be in 6 months or so. Do you think it's bad that I am doing LHR after 6 months of taking the drugs? I read that thicker/darker hair responds better to the laser but if the drugs cause my hair to be thinner than the laser will not be as effective. This is just my theory though.

#101906 - 10/20/12 05:28 PM Re: Spironolactone [Re: team90]
zaphairzap Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Houston
I think you are right in thinking so. If your hair become thinner (and they will after months of spiro), then laser might not be as effective.

#108536 - 08/25/13 01:02 PM Re: Spironolactone [Re: zaphairzap]
SeanaTG Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: The Great White North eh
I'm a transgirl, and have been on spiroactone for about 10 months early in hormone therapy. I've since been switched to cyproterone.

As others have mentioned, Spiro wont reduce the NUMBER of hairs, especially on the face and groin areas. On the body especially the legs and arms it will do two things, lighten the hair and reduce it's thickness. I'm on 100 mg twice daily , or was, and I went from having very typical male legs to typically female pattern.

Some caution is required with Spiro. The first thing you are likely to notice is you will need to use the bathroom about twice as often. Spiro is basically a water pill and will make you have to pee alot. It's important threfore that you intake enough fluids to compensate so you dont become dehydrated. The second side effect is that it greatly affects blood pressure, in that it lowers it. You can notice busy spells, especially when you sit up rapidly froma sitting or kneeling position. Finally, it causes issues with potassium levels , so you have to watch your diet and avoid high potassium items like bananas.Blood work to check your levels at least once every 6 months is necessary .

Cyperoterone is a much stronger antiandrogen. However like all antiandrogens it can be hard on the liver. Most endocrinologists start you on spiro first to make sure you can tolerate the antiandrogens.When I was switched I was grreatly relieved at the reduction in the number of bathroom trips. I swear I couldnt leave the house for five minutes before.
As others have mentioned, it wont reduce the number of hairs or thickness on the face. It WILL however prevent new facial hair growth that was being enacted by the higher testosterone levels. Elcectrolysis is the preferred method to remove what is already growing. Sometimes you can get it cheaper at beauty schools.

Seana

#108539 - 08/25/13 02:18 PM Re: Spironolactone [Re: SeanaTG]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Dear Seana,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments, they were helpful and I will “pass these on.” Please consider being a regular poster here on Hairtell. You are a wealth of information (not just random opinion), and articulate … wonderful!

A recent 25-year-old patient has fast-emerging accelerating dark vellus hairs on her face, “new” adult acne, weight gain, irregular periods and “I go ‘crazy’ with my periods” (she says).

As all of us “zappers” can confirm, these symptoms get us in “high gear” for the client’s necessary medical evaluation.

The nice thing about working with a physician is that I simply sent her to the doctor’s room immediately (she had no time to waste “thinking about it.”). We took blood. And she will be starting “Spiro” on Monday.

In the past too many clients would get my recommendations and then do nothing about it … I mean, they would not make an appointment for blood work or physician consultation. I suppose if you FEEL reasonably well there is no particular urgency?

Years ago I spotted a cancer on a woman’s face and she waited months to see the doctor. Finally I told her “no more treatments” until she got this taken care of. Only that admonition motivated her! It WAS cancer (basal); she got it removed and was fine.

Serious medical conditions should not be “put off.”

One advantage of having a “physician on board” is the ease the patient has in “getting to it.” (Actually, they can’t “get out of my “clutches.”)

When you see a “ton” of accelerating facial hairs, the electrologist wants medical help ASAP. I’m very hopeful that the medication will halt this newly-developing facial hair condition … )

#108589 - 08/27/13 11:52 AM Re: Spironolactone [Re: Michael Bono]
SeanaTG Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: The Great White North eh
Thank you michel, I definitely share where I can. That said I'm being somewhat of an information sponge on information related to electrolysis, and still very much have alot to learn.

Seana

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Good Electrologyst But Talks Too Much
by dfahey
09:46 PM
Ingrown Extraction!
by Iluv2zap
10:43 AM
Is this leg hair a good option for laser?
by Brenton
12:30 AM
Desperate for advice
by Iluv2zap
04/25/17 08:09 PM
DIY Electrolysis Equipment + Other Questions
by Iluv2zap
04/25/17 08:08 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9452
James W. Walker VII 8026
Andrea 4146
Michael Bono 3063
Who's Online
1 registered (Lynn5), 103 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod