Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#8783 - 04/25/02 06:19 PM Home electrolysis
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Los Angeles
One of the most frequently-asked questions I get is about do-it-yourself electrolysis.

Home electrolysis tips

This method is easiest on just a few hairs in an area you can see directly or in a mirror. If you can't see them, you can't treat them, so sideburns and back can be difficult to treat.

Take care,
Andrea

Sponsored Links
#8784 - 05/27/02 06:54 PM Re: Home electrolysis
Puff Offline

Loc: Nevada
Nice to find this site! I was surfing a site that sold all kinds of equipment, globally. I was about to plunk down some money and then I found this site. I think I will do more research.

Anyway, about 20 years ago :-( I bought a probe type hair remover from I believe Inverness. I tried it on a 2" round spot on the inside if my calf.

It made the hair pores red and itch for a day or two, but was not uncomfortable. But it did work. To this day there are only 4 hairs in that spot.

To make a long story short, I did not have someone to help me continue at that time and then the little unit got lost. Now I have someone that wants to help (They have a steady hand and good eyes)finish the job at home.

Do they still make that equipment or does somebody make something equivalent? [Frown]

#8785 - 05/28/02 07:00 AM Re: Home electrolysis
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

Hey Puff--

Good to have you here! Sounds like you almost bought from those scummy Global Electrolysis Supply people! Glad I spared you the trouble!

The One Touch is still made. Below are some links about it:

Hairfacts: home electrolysis puchasing information

Hairfacts: home electrolysis tips

#8786 - 05/27/02 08:35 PM Re: Home electrolysis
Puff Offline

Thank you....and yes you did spare me and my money.

That is it...the One Touch. I know that it wasn't very sophisticated (SP?) but it did work. What is your opinion of it. The time it will take to use it is of little consiquence now.

Infact, my man will enjoy the together time and I will enjoy the pampering. [Razz]

What else have you seen on the market that works and wont break the bank (over $300.00)?

#8787 - 05/28/02 05:41 PM Re: Home electrolysis
Puff Offline

Does Texas Elecrolysis Supply have a good reputation? [Confused]

#8788 - 05/29/02 07:39 AM Re: Home electrolysis
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

Yes, they do, Puff! They have a good selection of pro epilators and pain reducing creams and topicals.

Texas Electrolysis Supply website

(note: this is not an endorsement. no claim is made as to the quality of their services. I have not received any negative feedback, just positive feedback to date.)

#8789 - 05/30/02 07:39 AM Re: Home electrolysis
npetty Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Hello,
I have been researching the home electrolysis units available, and I was very happy to find this site. I have read all the info at Hairfacts and was thinking of purchasing the Emjoi Beauty Forever Hair Remover, but after reviewing this site I see that you recommend the One Touch product. What is the difference between these two products? My intention is to attempt to permanently remove the hair on my legs. I understand this may take me "years" to complete. but if I get started then it will be done sometime and I can hopefully give up the dreaded razor. I plan to start on the lower portion and work my way up. I would eventually like to do the bikini area as well. Any additional advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks

#8790 - 05/30/02 07:57 AM Re: Home electrolysis
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

Welcome, npetty!

The Emjoi Beauty Forever is an electric tweezer scam. Electric tweezers like this have been shown to be temporary in clinical studies. FDA has stated "there is no statistically significant scientific data available at this time to support promotional claims of permanent or long-term removal of hair through use of the device."

For more on electric tweezers, see:

Hairfacts: electric tweezers

For more on legitimate methods of home electrolysis where a probe is inserted into the follicle, please see:

Hairfacts: home electrolysis

#8791 - 05/29/02 08:14 PM Re: Home electrolysis
npetty Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Thank you so much for replying so quickly.

I will purchase the one touch today. I have found a site that has it for less than any other (not incl. purchasing from e-bay). It is $27.99 at ULTA.com. They do not sell the extra stylet tips but I found those at Folica for $5.95. I have not searched everywhere for the stylet tips though.

Do you recommend that I go ahead and purchase the additional tips to have on hand before I start my "project"? What is the life of these?

What other products do you recommend that I have to get started, besides the tweezerman slant tip tweezers and the basic cleaning (alcohol)
Is there any other products that would be helpful to prepare the skin/hair follicles?
And for afterwards, should I use a special lotion?

What do you think of the "new" shave minimizing lotions?

I am very anxious to get started, but really want to be prepared.

Thanks

#8792 - 05/29/02 08:33 PM Re: Home electrolysis
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

The tips can get bent easily, so some people prefer to have a few extra on hand. If you're careful, they'll last a while.

I explain the equipment you might want here:

Hairfacts: home electrolysis tips

I discuss the shave minimizing lotion under
the Shaving forum. Bottom line: they can make hair appear finer, but they have no effect on hair growth.

Check out the home electrolysis tips for plenty of info from those who had success. I personally don't recommend it because the failure rate is pretty high, but some consumers have been very pleased with their results.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Pro-Tec Probes Recommendations for Apilus
by Iluv2zap
Today at 08:30 PM
Unwanted hair - help/advice!
by EUGuy
Today at 04:27 PM
PCOS over-diagnosed
by Michael Bono
Today at 04:19 PM
Apilus Platinum Pur for Sale
by laraisk
Yesterday at 09:14 AM
Something wrong
by blueberry
10/18/18 09:11 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
Deedra 9726
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4158
Michael Bono 3515
Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod