Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#92873 - 10/20/11 01:34 PM Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair...
RadioTherapy Offline
Contributor

I went on birth control around the end of summer last year. I got generic Ortho Tri Cyclen from Planned Parenthood, took it religiously...and about a month in, I noticed that I'd gotten hair all over my cheeks. It wasn't too sparse, but I'd never had facial hair before.

Most of the doctors I've been to have denied birth control being the cause of my facial hair, saying it was a "coincidence" and that I most likely have an underlying problem or it's just genetic. I was 19 at the time...wouldn't my facial hair have manifested itself earlier if that were the case? And why was it so SUDDEN? It was literally about a month or two into the BC. Am I right for being absolutely convinced it was the birth control that caused this? The most frustrating part was that my hormone levels showed up normal after being tested. So I'm fairly sure I was just extra sensitive to some ingredient in the pill.

So now I've been battling hair for an entire year now, first with laser (didn't do anything) and now with electrolysis (which is helping, but very, very painful for me and frustrating). And I eventually do need to go back on BC.

So my main questions are:
-Does Ortho Tri Cyclen have an ingredient that could have caused my facial hair?
-What is a good brand of BC that would help reduce facial hair?
-Can I be on BC while getting electrolysis done?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by RadioTherapy (10/20/11 01:38 PM)

Sponsored Links
#92874 - 10/20/11 02:01 PM Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair... [Re: RadioTherapy]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: London, UK
Hi,

I'm sure you will be told the time period is too short for it to be the BC, as I have read here before.

But in my own experience, my facial and chest hair has been very sensitive to BCP.

I was first given microgynon and a few months in, I noticed the hair on my cheeks (I have lots of downy fur), seemed to be getting longer. I didn't think too much of it, until I stopped taking it for other reasons and my facial hair went back to 'normal'.

I was then put on Cilest (which is Orto Tri Cyclin?), which has anti androgenic properties but I gave up after 2 months as my skin and eyes were getting very dry to the point that my optician told me to use artificial tears.

Then, my GP suggested Yasmin and so far no probs of the kind I had with the other two pills. And on top of that, two months in, I noticed the hair growth seemed to have slowed.
This is some info about it:
Yasmin is a combined oral contraceptive. It contains drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol. Drosperinone is a fairly new progestogen, and is the closest to the natural female progesterone hormone. It also functions as an anti-androgen.

So even though Cilest and Yasmin (and Dianette) are all anti androgenic BCP, there are differences. I think you just need to keep trying until you find one you are satisfied with.

I don't understand how hormones or sensitivity to them can actually cause a change in how fast/slow the hair grows but I certainly noticed this.

Keep going with the electrolysis. It's the only way to resolve the problem. You can go on BCP but it will interfere with the results (either negatively or positively). You may want to get rid of the hair before trying again.

http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/70550/BCP_and_Facial_Hair.html#Post70550
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to date, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

#92877 - 10/20/11 08:55 PM Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair... [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
ivnn Offline

I agree with stoppit. If you have to be on birth control, you may just have to find the one that is right for you. I suggest that you read the book The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman by Dr. Redmond. I am one of those "hormonally vulnerable" women. Although I have always tested within the normal range in hormones, my body is hypersensitive to these normal levels which led to excessive male pattern growth on my face, below belly button and bikini area and hair loss on my head. My facial hair became even worse after years of plucking and laser treatments... all I can say is THANK GOD FOR ELECTROLYSIS!

I used to be Dr. Redmond's patient. He is an endocrinologist that specializes in women's hormones. His belief is that certain birth control pills are better than others for women who are "hormonally vulnerable". For me, being on Yasmin did not increase hair growth, rather it helped slow down the recruitment of other hair follicles. I was on Yasmin prior to seeing Dr. Redmond and he kept me on that AND added other medications.

I stopped taking all medications about a year and a half ago and I do notice that I have new hair growth. I have accepted the fact that I will probably recruit new hair follicles for the rest of my life. The difference is that now it is very easy to take care of the new growth with electrolysis since I took care of the bulk of the problem a few years back. As stoppit already mentioned, keep going with electrolysis since there is no other way of dealing with the hair that is already there. ELECTROLYSIS CHANGES LIVES!!!

#92884 - 10/21/11 03:05 AM Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair... [Re: ]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
There are categories of drugs that cause hair growth and birth control pills is one of them. Your physician can prescribe the better types of BCP's that are better for hair issues.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#92893 - 10/21/11 05:21 AM Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair... [Re: ]
chewbacca86 Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Michigan
Have you considered a non hormonal form of birth control? They also pose risks too, but I personally think that it is probably safer than the long term effects of the hormonal birth control provided out there. It wouldn't be a bad idea to investigate alternative options too. Here are some links.

http://www.paragard.com/

http://www.femcap.com/about/what-is-the-femcap.html

#92895 - 10/21/11 06:01 AM Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair... [Re: ]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Most electrologists have a list of drugs that can potentially stimulate hair growth. International Hair Route Magazine provided a list of categories of drugs a while back and several types of birth control pills were listed, most certainly. It is up to the physician to choose the best option for her patient. There are "thousands" of concentrations of estrogen and progesterone with some being better than others for preventing hair growth. I do hear occasionally from my female clients that they swear their hair growth was stimulated by a new birth control pill. I know about the BCP that are better for hair growth issues, but again that is a patient / physician discussion. What ever is prescribed, might need to be chosen for reasons other than hair growth prevention.

Aside from BCP, other classifications under the banner of sex hormones includes androgens, estrogens and progesterone. Other classifications are corticosteroids, with prednisone being the best known, certain anticonvulsant and antidepressant medications list hair growth as a possible side effect.

Edited by dfahey (10/24/11 12:54 AM)
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#92896 - 10/21/11 06:14 AM Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair... [Re: dfahey]
greenasgrass Offline
Contributor

I've found that GPs are often far more casual about prescribing BCPs than their patients would prefer, and tend to make recommendations on a trial and error basis. Finding a regular doc who's endocrinologically sophisticated is pure luck.

More anecdotal stuff: I was given Diane35 years ago, for PCOS. Now everyone responds differently to things, but those months were among the most crazy-making of my life. Irritability, depression, anger, irrational behaviour - check, check, check, and check. (Plus bloat. And fat.)

I shall be reading that book.

#92907 - 10/21/11 06:46 PM Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair... [Re: greenasgrass]
audrey32 Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: NY
Dfahey, do you know about YAZ? How is this birth control pill in terms of controlling hormones/hair growth?

#92910 - 10/21/11 09:34 PM Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair... [Re: audrey32]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Birth control pills are hormones. Hormones can cause hair growth or hair loss. Many side effects are reported with birth control pills. There are tons of birth control pill on the market and Yaz in one of them.

From Drugs.com:

Less serious side effects may include:

breast pain, tenderness, or swelling;
freckles or darkening of facial skin, increased hair growth, or loss of scalp hair;
changes in weight or appetite, swelling of your hands or feet;
problems with contact lenses;
vaginal itching or discharge; or
changes in your menstrual periods.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Okay, so there you have it. Other stuff about Yaz:

Yaz, Yasmin and Ocella contain a 4th generation progestin. Two British studies have shown that this new progestin can double the risk of blood clots, but other experts are not so sure about this because ALL birth control pills have the likelihood of some serious side effects, especially if you are obese, over the age of 35, have a family history of blood clots and you are a smoker. Blood clots is a very serious, but low risk side effect, but even so, these women should not take birth control pills at all.

Then there are " casual associations related to ALL oral contraceptives that have been neither confirmed of refuted" such as increased hair growth, according to Drugs.com

I wouldn't worry about it, audrey, unless you experience any of the more serious side effects. As Dr. Ricardo Azziz, a reproductive endocrinologist and highly respected researcher says - the recent studies make it difficult to determine the blood clot risk, doctors still need to talk to their patients about any potential risk from ANY FORM OF ESTROGEN AND PROGESTIN COMBINATION BIRTH CONTROL PILLS.

Women respond differently to birth control pills and efforts are made to prescribe the pill that gives them the least side effects. These 4th generation progestin birth control pills seem to be tolerated better by women than the older forms of progestins. Yaz is FDA approved to help tension and depression, so those secondary benefits are a good thing for women, especially if dishes are flying at dinnertime. Dolly Parton wrote a song called " PMS Blues". It starts out like this: " Eve, you wicked woman , You done put your curse on me, Why didn't you just leave that apple hangin' on the tree"

Sorry for going off on tangents!
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#92917 - 10/22/11 12:50 PM Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair... [Re: ]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Every drug has a barrel load of side effects as reported by patients and doctors to the FDA. If a patient complains to his doctor about their toe aching after taking a drug, then she, the doctor, could/should/would report that to the FDA. Perhaps they report it with just one complaint or when they see a pattern of complaints developing???

Individual studies cannot be done on each side effect reported, though scientific minds would like that.

Edited by dfahey (10/24/11 12:42 AM)
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#92929 - 10/22/11 08:54 PM Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair... [Re: dfahey]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: London, UK
All I know is that I was very aware of my routines and keeping an eye out for the side effect of birth control. As soon as it became obvious to me that something was not right (beyond the expected things like nausea), I informed my doctor. In the space of a year, I was put on three different pills, all with different effects.

As far as I'm concerned, Microgynon made my hair grow faster which stopped as soon as I came off it. Yasmin (YAZ) has made my hair grow slower. Why did Cilest cause so much dryness that the other two did not?

Just to go back to ivnn post, I can believe this. I'm south Asian and I'd say every south Asian woman I know who has had an excess hair problem before OCP has found either an increase or decrease depending on which they take.
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to date, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

#92938 - 10/23/11 12:25 AM Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair... [Re: ]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

For Radio Therapy who asked another question about whether she can get electrolysis while being on birth control pills? The answer is absolutely YES! Go get this started asap as there are no cautions to heed, it is fine to start. Many of my female clients are on birth control pills if they are under the age of 40.

How many laser treatments did you have on your face? Did you get lased before you went on BCP at the end of summer 2010? Perhaps you are a victim of laser induced hair growth. You say it came up suddenly. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#93107 - 10/29/11 04:05 AM Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair... [Re: dfahey]
RadioTherapy Offline
Contributor

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll definitely look into Yasmin and other nonhormonal methods.
smile

And dfahey, I had my first laser treatment after the hair growth first appeared (I had three treatments total before I stopped), but I definitely think it made the growth worse (it was like peach fuzz before).

Edited by RadioTherapy (10/29/11 04:07 AM)

#94616 - 12/19/11 05:56 AM Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair... [Re: RadioTherapy]
Sasha123 Offline

Hi, I have been taking tri cyclen lo since june now. I always had some extra facial hair for which i was getting a laser treatment done and had superb results but since i started taking this evil pill my facial hair not only grew back but i have noticed horrible long hair on my neck which is very unsual. I am getting off the pill and would highly recommend anyone having same problems to do that too....if you have any doubts that the pill might not be causing it then please dont cuz i have been telling my doctors that and no one believes it but i have experienced it and i know how bad it feels

#102354 - 11/07/12 03:36 AM Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair... [Re: dfahey]
EvaPro Offline
Contributor

Is the facial hair bad enough to want to stop taking a very effective birth control method? Do you have any other side effects? If not, you might be able to tolerate a bit more fuzz. If you have other bothersome side effects, I'd also suggest a non-hormonal method.

#105840 - 04/01/13 05:06 PM Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen gave me facial hair... [Re: EvaPro]
CareBearhair Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: B.C. canada
this is an older post but for someone else out there who has similar ?'s as OP, yrs ago I went on ortho tri cyclen and I recall it stated it may reduce or increase hair growth. But I'm sure all BC pills state that it may increase/reduce hair growth in the information write up?? I think the only non-hormonal BC methods are the copper IUD, diaphragm and condoms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Find an electrologist in East Anglia
by h56ty
11:56 AM
How to find an electrologist in your area
by smac
08:28 PM
PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail
by The Dowager
08:51 AM
One-touch electrolysis
by fenix
03/21/17 09:22 PM
Schools that accept Pell Grant?
by fenix
03/21/17 09:13 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9438
James W. Walker VII 8023
Andrea 4145
Michael Bono 3051
Who's Online
0 registered (), 92 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod