Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#93017 - 10/25/11 05:00 PM Electrolysis and oily skin
nicolenutt Offline

I started electrolysis in Feb 2011. Each month I feel so depressed about my hair growth it seems unbearable. I know if I keep up with it, in the long run I hope it will pay off. I think I am just at the point where my fingers are crossed and I am hoping for the best. I have been reading here since then and finally decided to post my story.

I started plucking my chin when I was in my teens I am now 34/f and it just got progressively worse to the point I was plucking for and hour a day sometimes. My chin is totally messed up and I feel so ugly.

My skin seems to have gotten more oily now that I have started Electrolysis, is this normal?

I have gotten blood work and my testosterone seems high after 2 tests but the OB didn't seem concerned and told me make another appt in 6 months.

Each month I count down as another month done. My Electrologist keeps telling me I have less hair, but I don't see a reduction. I go 1 1/2 hours each week and there is not really any other closer Electrologist in my area. In her 20+ years she said I won the award for the most hair in one area, so that is not reassuring at all. She also said that I will need to go at the least an hour a week until the end of this winter....ughh I don't know if i can handle it.

Edited by nicolenutt (10/25/11 07:00 PM)

Thread Sponsors
#93028 - 10/26/11 04:03 AM Re: Electrolysis and oily skin [Re: nicolenutt]
Barbara_CPE Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Kansas
I have never heard of anyone thinking their skin was more oily after starting electrolysis. I have no idea what this means. Could it mean that your hormones are still changing? Oiliness and hair problems often go hand in hand.....

Can you answer these questions for me? The answers will tell us a lot about your particular hair problem.

How long (number of months or years) were you tweezing for an hour every day?

Have you stopped all tweezing?

Have you been getting the same areas cleared every week since February?

What "coverage" is your hair growth? i.e. chin only or full face and neck

#93037 - 10/26/11 01:08 PM Re: Electrolysis and oily skin [Re: Barbara_CPE]
nicolenutt Offline

Originally Posted By: Barbara_CPE
I have never heard of anyone thinking their skin was more oily after starting electrolysis. I have no idea what this means. Could it mean that your hormones are still changing? Oiliness and hair problems often go hand in hand.....

--I would probably agree with you on the hormones, I was just curious.

Can you answer these questions for me? The answers will tell us a lot about your particular hair problem.

--about 16yrs

--I have accidentally tweezed in the past 9 months about 20 hairs. (I am devastated that I let that many get pulled)

--I have only gotten 1 clearance since Feb, due to the fact that is partly my fault, because I shave the day before and then let it grown the day of the appt, so it might not be long enough, plus there is a lot. The first time I let it grow, I had a really bad day coping with the amount of hair. I do go once a month after letting it grow 2 days and that helps a lot.

--She is focusing mainly on the chin and neck, then if there is time left she works on a few on the cheeks(when I say a few it is like 4 per side) and then upper lip. So an 1 1/4 hours for chin and neck and 15 mins for the rest.

Hope that helps!! frown

#93060 - 10/27/11 03:56 AM Re: Electrolysis and oily skin [Re: nicolenutt]
Barbara_CPE Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: nicolenutt
Originally Posted By: Barbara_CPE

--I would probably agree with you on the hormones, I was just curious.

--about 16yrs

--I have accidentally tweezed in the past 9 months about 20 hairs. (I am devastated that I let that many get pulled)

--I have only gotten 1 clearance since Feb, due to the fact that is partly my fault, because I shave the day before and then let it grown the day of the appt, so it might not be long enough, plus there is a lot. The first time I let it grow, I had a really bad day coping with the amount of hair. I do go once a month after letting it grow 2 days and that helps a lot.

--She is focusing mainly on the chin and neck, then if there is time left she works on a few on the cheeks(when I say a few it is like 4 per side) and then upper lip. So an 1 1/4 hours for chin and neck and 15 mins for the rest.

Hope that helps!! frown

So this is what your reply tells me. After 16 years of tweezing for an hour every single day (read this as 7 hours per week) you have gotten one clearance after about 8 months of 1.5 hours a week of electrolysis. Starting on a client who tweezes that much is frustrating for the electrologist as well as the client. That tweezing really can hide the severity of the hair problem.

I don't know how anyone "accidentally" tweezes a hair so I will gently suggest that you don't accidentally tweeze any more, okay? It would also help the electrologist that you do not shave the day of a treatment. Start by shaving the night before instead of the morning of....as you progress you will be able to (you will have to) go longer without shaving.

Your electrolysis treatments may very well take longer than others, but if your electrologist has good skills you will get there. Most of us can tell stories about many, many women who had their lives changed by successful treatments.

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Apilus Electropil... no model name?
by Iluv2zap
10:06 AM
Understanding How Laser Hair Removal Works
by Deedra
03:35 PM
Best Laser Hair Removal UAE
by osamadcs
07:06 AM
Seana is unavailable for a lil while
by Iluv2zap
09/23/18 09:35 PM
A sterm warning to anyone considering laser hair removal.
by Miamikitty
09/20/18 08:54 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
Deedra 9712
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4158
Michael Bono 3490
Who's Online
3 registered (adrien_sanchiz, Janna, SynViks), 116 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod