Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#97530 - 04/05/12 07:48 PM What setting for blend Sterex?
Starling22 Offline

Loc: England, UK
What do you think is a good setting for the Sterex blend machine? I had it at 25 on Thermolysis and Galvanic, would that be effective enough or should it be higher? The hair came out easily and there was a little bulb on the end. I was relieved about that, it started off with so much stress!

Sponsored Links
#97577 - 04/06/12 08:06 PM Re: What setting for blend Sterex? [Re: Starling22]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
The effective setting would vary based on many factors, including personal hydration, use of caffeine, alcoholic beverages, past plucking, and so on.

As a Home user who is utilizing blend, I would advise that you figure out your setting by trying a two handed technique where you hold the hair with the forceps/tweezers and insert the probe, and keep the energy going until the hair pops out on its own with no pulling from you. At this point, you have a base line, and can adjust for timing and intensity to either do the same treatment in less or more treatment time. Keep in mind, longer treatment time per hair, can, in some case, lead to a less painful treatment, if you have the energy set correctly.

Just be patient, as you are sort of fumbling in the dark doing this without a hands on teacher to guide you. Electrolysis treatment currents are not like selecting speeds on a treadmill. It is more like speeds on a bike. What speed you should be in, has to do with the terrain you are on, and will change as your journey moves from one area to another. While those who don't understand the bike, will put it in one setting and try to always ride it in that speed setting, pros are shifting repeatedly as they go along, all the time.

I hope that helps your understanding.

#97583 - 04/06/12 11:25 PM Re: What setting for blend Sterex? [Re: James W. Walker VII]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: London, UK
I love the analogy James.
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to date, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

#97586 - 04/07/12 12:20 AM Re: What setting for blend Sterex? [Re: Starling22]
beate_r Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Hattersheim, Germany
Originally Posted By: Starling22
...I had it at 25 on Thermolysis and Galvanic, would that be effective enough or should it be higher?...

Seriously - You consider adding the effect of the two currents both of which are sufficient to destroy the hair and consider increasing each? And You really mean THAT?

Wouldn't it be a matter of simple logic expecting each partial current to be lower? (Actually i remember from my training we were typically using the SX-B at levels lower than You indicate).

Look for a good text book, preferrably Michael Bono's classical text on the blend method which still might be available in public libraries and learn how to judge the parameters.

Elektroepilation Dr. Beate Ritzert
http://epi.ritzert.net/en/

#97588 - 04/07/12 01:01 AM Re: What setting for blend Sterex? [Re: beate_r]
HomeElectro Offline

The SX-B user manual discusses settings. A thermolysis setting of 25 is way too high if you are doing blend.

User manual: http://n.b5z.net/i/u/6134570/i/SXB.pdf

Edited by HomeElectro (04/07/12 01:03 AM)

#97591 - 04/07/12 09:30 AM Re: What setting for blend Sterex? [Re: HomeElectro]
HomeElectro Offline

Just wanted to add: if you have the thermolysis up that high, you are basically doing straight thermolysis! For blend, I used to have the thermolysis around 4 or 6, with the DC set from anywhere from 25 to 40, depending on the type of hair being treated.

When I "graduated" to thermolysis, I would rarely have the thermolysis setting above 25 (usually somewhere between 18 & 25). Of course you may be able to tolerate higher settings, but just start low and work your way up. Good luck!

#97593 - 04/07/12 10:16 AM Re: What setting for blend Sterex? [Re: HomeElectro]
Arlene R. Batz, CPE Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York City - Queens
DIYers - take the online courses or actually enroll in an onsite electrology school. These schools also require some on-site training to assist you in the practical application of electrolysis.

Because this work is very tedious and difficult, we welcome new students into the field and then, perhaps more professionals might respond to your technical questions.

There are way too many variables to consider when determining settings.

We are seeing too many DIYers purchasing machines over the internet yet they haven't even read the books necessary to develop even a basic understanding of energy and tissue.

#97604 - 04/07/12 03:52 PM Re: What setting for blend Sterex? [Re: Arlene R. Batz, CPE]
Starling22 Offline

Loc: England, UK
Sorry I wasn't using the red cable and the steel bar so have been told I wasn't doing blend, only thermolysis. Thank you for that manual HomeElectro. I've been so eager to get rid of hair, I didn't want to wait too long to start so I probably should've just gone to a salon. I can't find ideal salons near where I live, I emailed one lady and she said they do galvanic electrolysis but I hear that's not as effective as blend. A lot of the salons want to do laser or IPL instead but I'd rather have electrolysis. I really want to go to Argryll Electrolysis Clinic, it's 3 hours away from me though. I take ages using my machine so I should probably learn more about it and then I can just use it on stray hairs and go to a salon in the meantime because I'm desperate for the hair to go!

#98667 - 05/16/12 08:53 PM Re: What setting for blend Sterex? [Re: HomeElectro]
trisha g Offline

Loc: Newcastle-Under-Lyme Staffords...
I agree 25 is too high on an SXB thermolysis setting, infact it would be high for diathermy alone too.I have used mine on approximately 4 thermolysis and anything from 15 upwards in increments of 5 on galvanic sometimes getting as high as 45+ but my machine is getting on a bit and it does seem to affect the setting

#123930 - 05/09/17 11:46 PM Re: What setting for blend Sterex? [Re: Starling22]
Greek Offline
Contributor

Seeing as this is an old thread, does anyone have anymore input to what are good settings to use for the Sterex SX-B for blend method? I tried 4 Therm, 20 Gal, and 5 Seconds but sometimes it's so painful - though maybe I think it's because of my insertions? My insertions are terrible right now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Are AEA electrologists the only ones to pick?
by Soft Touch
Ripped Off?
by Soft Touch
12:36 AM
Lower Back Pain
by Megrb
12:10 AM
My electrologist plucks my hairs. A french story..
by Skyisblue
02:58 PM
FOR SALE
by CMM
02:55 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9507
James W. Walker VII 8027
Andrea 4146
Michael Bono 3092
Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod