Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#97645 - 04/08/12 08:05 AM Caution: DIY electrolysis is risky & hard
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Los Angeles
Do-it-yourself electrolysis is not easy to do. You can damage your skin and waste time with ineffective treatment unless your technique is correct. That takes time and training. Most people who try at-home electrolysis do not succeed in meeting their goals.

I tried it myself and gave up after a lot of pain and tedium. It's not practical for large areas, and the little battery-operated home units are very difficult to use.

One of our electrologist contributors Arlene has the following suggestions:
Quote:

DIYers - take the online courses or actually enroll in an onsite electrology school. These schools also require some on-site training to assist you in the practical application of electrolysis.

Because this work is very tedious and difficult, we welcome new students into the field and then, perhaps more professionals might respond to your technical questions.

There are way too many variables to consider when determining settings.

We are seeing too many DIYers purchasing machines over the internet yet they haven't even read the books necessary to develop even a basic understanding of energy and tissue.

Further reading:
http://www.hairfacts.com/tips/diyelectro/home-electrolysis-tips/

Sponsored Links
#99379 - 06/12/12 11:01 PM Re: Caution: DIY electrolysis is risky & hard [Re: Andrea]
mam91 Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: canada
Please I need advice.
I am of black descent with slightly curly hair and no to coarse.However i have been told blend is the appropriate modality for me.I want to use it on other parts of my body while i get my facial hair done by an electrologist.
Firstly,where can i buy a DIY kit for myself and what type do you advice i buy?
Secondly,where can i get training on how to use it?
Thanks
Thirdly,any other advice for me

#99380 - 06/12/12 11:17 PM Re: Caution: DIY electrolysis is risky & hard [Re: mam91]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: London, UK
mam - I gave you a very good recommendation to get your issue sorted out. I know logistically it's a bit difficult but still easier than trying to learn it yourself and DIY. And then you would only be able to do areas where you can perform a good insertion.

There is no such thing as a 'DIY' kit. You need to walk before you run - read around the DIY forum and buy the recommended books.

Edited by James W. Walker VII (06/13/12 03:20 AM)
Edit Reason: edit the word transposition on run and walk
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to date, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

#99381 - 06/12/12 11:23 PM Re: Caution: DIY electrolysis is risky & hard [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
Brenton Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: stoppit&tidyup
You need to run before you walk

That would be impressive, being able to run but not being able to walk wink

#99382 - 06/12/12 11:34 PM Re: Caution: DIY electrolysis is risky & hard [Re: Brenton]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: London, UK
LOL. oops. I'll have to leave it unedited now!
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to date, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

#102904 - 12/02/12 02:34 AM Re: Caution: DIY electrolysis is risky & hard [Re: Andrea]
Willie Sedlar Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I agree that there is no do it yourself kit. I read two books and many hour on line before I purchased a professional machine. I did learn a lot on my own and with a few helpful tips from a good friend I learned to do electrolysis on my self. It is difficult to do and a slow process. I then enrolled in an electrolysis school. My two years of self learning made me I hope my instructor would say a good student. I became licensed after completing school. A school is where you get the real hands on training to become good at hair removal. It takes a lot of practice to become skilled. There are people who can learn to be effective on their own without any schooling.

#102987 - 12/03/12 04:32 PM Re: Caution: DIY electrolysis is risky & hard [Re: Willie Sedlar]
silkn-pro Offline

I had to chime in here!
First off: There are great safety features on most of these devices keep you from doing damage to yourself.

2)- It is tedious, but after 8-12 treatments, you're done FOREVER

3)- Most of the products have video manuals, and very easy to operate, usually requiring just the touch of a button

Hope that helps! I don't want you to think the DIY kits are bad, because they are approved and tested to the MAX.

Edited by James W. Walker VII (12/03/12 05:05 PM)
Edit Reason: removed spam link

#103587 - 12/27/12 01:30 PM Re: Caution: DIY electrolysis is risky & hard [Re: silkn-pro]
Willie Sedlar Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I could never find a DIY kit. I put everything together piece by piece with many hours of research.

#103659 - 12/30/12 02:44 PM Re: Caution: DIY electrolysis is risky & hard [Re: Willie Sedlar]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
There is no DIY-Kit, unless you consider buying a "Silkn-Pro" unit, or some light based home unit a "DIY KIT".

If you are using electrolysis there is no DIY kit, and the machines don't come with easy video manuals. Hell, the written ones are not all that helpful.

Most people end up buying 4 books, and trying to get some in person instruction on top of that.

#103672 - 12/31/12 01:54 PM Re: Caution: DIY electrolysis is risky & hard [Re: James W. Walker VII]
beate_r Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Hattersheim, Germany
Please let me emphasize this:

Quote:
and trying to get some in person instruction on top of that.

I did a lot of DIY electrolysis. First of all after my professional trainings in order to practice and later on - after some months - in my face. In case of difficulties to do proper insertions leave that area alone and concentrate on what You can easily reach.

Edited by beate_r (12/31/12 01:55 PM)

Elektroepilation Dr. Beate Ritzert
http://epi.ritzert.net/en/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Advice for customers.
by Michael Bono
0 seconds ago
Electrolysis on legs
by Roselake21
Today at 05:17 PM
Before & After electrolysis photos!
by Roselake21
Today at 05:16 PM
In need of some feedback
by angelfeather
Yesterday at 07:22 AM
Recommended machine to buy in 2017?
by SecretSid
12/08/17 08:07 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9611
James W. Walker VII 8049
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3181
Who's Online
0 registered (), 94 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod