Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#100034 - 07/10/12 12:55 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: ekade]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: London, UK
I'm not sure ekade. But I know the riffi mitt, other mitts/gloves designed especially for exfoliation of the skin and pumice stones are all pretty rough.

I know lots of people who don't advise using the St. Ives apricot scrub on one's face because the kernals do more harm than good in terms of scratching the skin.
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to Nov 2013, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

Sponsored Links
#100035 - 07/10/12 01:16 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
ekade Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Originally Posted By: stoppit&tidyup
I know lots of people who don't advise using the St. Ives apricot scrub on one's face because the kernals do more harm than good in terms of scratching the skin.

Yes, Iíve heard it too!

#100036 - 07/10/12 01:27 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: ekade]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Yeh, so I'm guessing it's the same on the body if you're using scrubs with 'bits' in them.

I was just told it's less harsh and damaging to exfoliate on dry skin.

From personal experience, my skin is in much better condition using this routine of dry exfoliation with the riffi mitt and moisturising well after every shower. I used to really 'go at it' with a pumice stone many years ago.

This new (for me) method didn't loosen up my trapped hairs overnight, it took a week or two but when it happened, my skin looked much better than the sore, bumpiness I used to have using the stone.
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to Nov 2013, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

#100037 - 07/10/12 01:55 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
Brenton Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: stoppit&tidyup

I was just told it's less harsh and damaging to exfoliate on dry skin.

Interesting... I feel like I remember hearing that I should exfoliate on wet skin while I'm taking a shower. Though I wonder how much difference it really makes in the end?

The amlactin has lactic acid, so although it's not glycolic acid, they're both fairly similar. Both are alpha-amino hydroxy acids. Actually, according to this:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/203203-glycolic-acid-vs-lactic-acid/

It seems as if the lactic acid is a bit milder than the glycolic acid. I'm a little concerned about using harsher compounds on me since I don't know how I'll react, and we're talking about very large areas.

#100038 - 07/10/12 02:07 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: Brenton]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

My previous electrologist was adamant that it should only be done on dry skin. As many electrologist's in the UK, she was also a highly qualified beautician, doing facials, waxing etc.

Anyway, yes lactic is similar but less harsh. You want to look out for the pH of the product if listed when comparing. Which you know much more about than me.

For the last two months, I've been using a simple cleanser that contains 10% GLA. It works better than anything else I've tried.

I'm linking the body products page of where I bought the cleanser (and a 15% night cream for my sister), so you can see what sort of products might be useful for you if you can find similar locally.

http://www.bravuralondon.com/body.html

If the results from the cleanser and night cream are anything to go by, I'm sure the body products are also very effective.

#100047 - 07/10/12 07:46 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
mumbaigirl Offline
Top 20 Contributor

10% GLA is better than riffi mitt? or are u using both of them?

#100065 - 07/11/12 01:16 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: mumbaigirl]
Thehairyone001 Offline

Hmm that's an interesting point about dry exfoliation... I actually thought the opposite that dry would cause more irritation :s

Also I had removed this from my original post (cos I'm not sure if every location stocks them) but I get my riffis at Winners for 5 bucks! So check there first lol

#108961 - 09/11/13 04:32 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: Brenton]
mj28 Offline

Hi, I know this is veryyy late, but I just wanted to ask what the outcome of the pepper spots was....I'm having the same issue right now....would be grateful if you could tell me whether they eventually disappeared or not
Many thanks smile

#109002 - 09/12/13 06:45 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: mj28]
Brenton Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: SoCal
So for everyone curious:

Basically the ones on my lower legs are mostly all gone. The arms have been more stubborn, but when the hair grows back (although thinner), the pepper spots are substantially less noticeable. I've mostly been exfoliating everyday with that Dove gentle exfoliate lotion (it was like $5 at Walmart). Not sure how much that helped, but once in a while I also used exfoliating gloves in the shower. It's a very slow and gradual process, but now that the pepper spots on my legs have gone mostly away, I'm more confident in the remaining pepper spots going away.

I did not try the riffi mitt (mostly because I forgot to order it lol), but it's definitely something I'd give a try

#109006 - 09/12/13 09:21 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: Brenton]
mj28 Offline

Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think they'd be there forever lol. You've given me hope. May order the mitt now wink

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Apilus Electropil... no model name?
by SynViks
04:43 PM
Understanding How Laser Hair Removal Works
by Deedra
03:35 PM
Best Laser Hair Removal UAE
by osamadcs
07:06 AM
Seana is unavailable for a lil while
by Iluv2zap
09:35 PM
A sterm warning to anyone considering laser hair removal.
by Miamikitty
09/20/18 08:54 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
Deedra 9711
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4158
Michael Bono 3490
Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod