Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#109007 - 09/12/13 09:48 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: mj28]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
I’ve just glanced over these posts regarding “pepper spots.” I have a couple questions.

First, what do you think these “pepper spots” are?

Second, why are you scrubbing the hell out of your skin and what, exactly, are you exfoliating or trying to achieve?

I suppose I’m asking: what are these spots and what do you think you are doing to them?

Sponsored Links
#109009 - 09/12/13 10:29 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: Michael Bono]
Brenton Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: SoCal
1) "These are called "Bundelhaar," (German: bundle of hairs.) These arise from active sebaceous glands." "There is so much "sticky" sebum that the shedding hair is held in place; eventually you get a build-up of these shedding hairs that look like a large "blackhead." "

2) "There are peel off products that grab the tops of the Bundelhaar and pull them out." "If you can get "micro-dermabrasion" crystals, these work really well." "They work great to clean and "exfoliate" your face."

#109012 - 09/13/13 12:47 AM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: Brenton]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Oh I see! I was thinking RED pepper (and thought you were treating angiogenesis).

Actually Bundelhaar is typically found on "oily" areas, e.g., the nose. I wonder if laser-caused "black pepper" would actually qualify as "Bundelhaar" ... maybe a new definition? I'm assuming your "black spots" are desiccated remnants of a lasered hair (not the classic definition)?

Bundelhaaren are nicely treated with the methods you describe.

#109014 - 09/13/13 12:53 AM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: Michael Bono]
Brenton Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: SoCal

#109019 - 09/13/13 02:05 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: Brenton]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

That's funny! (I checked thru this thread and did not see my reference. But then, I hate digging thru "threads.")

Still, most folks in this thread are talking about laser-induced post-treatment remnant "pepper spots." I would assume these are basically carbon "plugs" of some sort; so not "Bundelhaar" (essentially a bundle of hairs.)

What about a new name for those "pepper spots?" Any suggestions? A name that also explains the thing would be excellent. Something like: laser-remnant, or carbon plug?

I have some thoughts on this, but since I have never had these myself, my thinking would only be speculation.

#109029 - 09/13/13 04:17 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: Thehairyone001]
mj28 Offline

Is the riffi mitt used wet or dry. Just ordered one. Can't wait. Lol

#109041 - 09/13/13 09:28 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: mj28]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Very random & unsubstantiated thoughts on “pepper spots” ...

We all remember the kid in Grade School that got a permanent mark from some kid poking him with a pencil? The pencil “lead” of course is graphite in some form of clay binder/matrix.

At any rate, once the graphite is deposited at a low enough layer of the skin (junction of the sub-dermis and dermis), this becomes a well-known mark called a tattoo!

The remnant of the lasered hair is probably carbon of some sort? If a large enough hair were lasered and left a carbon deposit at just the right skin layer … and the skin healed-over perfectly … would this also leave a virtual tattoo?

I do not know at all; as I said this is supposition. However, if you actually do have a tattoo-like deposit that deep in the skin, no amount of scrubbing is going to remove it. There could be, however, other options. Presumably your own body will “gobble up” the (organic) carbon and there could be ways to encourage this process. I can think of a few ways.

#126111 - 03/26/18 10:24 PM Re: Pepper Spots [Re: Brenton]
Janna Offline

Pepper spots are hairs that have been fried/vaporized by heat from a laser. They're not like a tattoo because they exist in a hair follicle that should not heal over. I assume that in some cases, the follicle may tighten towards the outside and prevent the thicker hair remnant from slipping out. Most people report them falling out on their own eventually.

I've heard of people squeezing them out but that isn't good for the skin. I wouldn't expect exfoliation to help other than maybe you occasionally catch a hair and pull it out. It might help open the follicles? I haven't really researched removal methods so I'm just guessing. Applying heat or 'drawing salve' for pimples might help?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Apilus Electropil... no model name?
by SynViks
04:43 PM
Understanding How Laser Hair Removal Works
by Deedra
03:35 PM
Best Laser Hair Removal UAE
by osamadcs
07:06 AM
Seana is unavailable for a lil while
by Iluv2zap
09:35 PM
A sterm warning to anyone considering laser hair removal.
by Miamikitty
09/20/18 08:54 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
Deedra 9711
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4158
Michael Bono 3490
Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod