consumer hair removal forum
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#127400 - 08/06/18 09:15 PM Re: Bad medical advice [Re: MrsV]
Fairygirl Offline
Major Contributor

A derm we saw for my daughter suggested laser and not electrolysis for her face too. My daughter's hair is very dense, soft, fine and light coloured. I cannot imagine the nightmare we could start by putting laser onto this. I questioned her and said that surely laser was best for darker, coarser hair but she refused to hear of it pretty much. Couldn't suggest anyone anywhere for us and I felt a little bit poo poohed for suggesting what I think she considered a very old fashioned method! She's a highly respected derm in our town so it was surprising. Laser is just considered the answer to everything hairy at the moment I think .

Thread Sponsors
#127401 - 08/06/18 10:47 PM Re: Bad medical advice [Re: MrsV]
Deedra Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: United States
Oh, my. Don't listen to her. Poor dear, she just doesn't know what she is talking about.

I am currently working on a teenager and several women that were absolutely devastated and depressed by all the hair that laser stimulated on their face and neck. It will take many hours to clean the mess up, but we will win, as a team over the next 9-18 months. Electrolysis is the savior. It is the only plan that will work.

Licensed by the State Medical Board of Ohio for Cosmetic Therapy/Electrolysis and the State Nursing Board of Ohio

#127402 - 08/07/18 03:58 AM Re: Bad medical advice [Re: MrsV]
Fairygirl Offline
Major Contributor

Im looking forward to the end result for my daughter too. Its devastating at 12 to be so damn hairy all over! Especially the face! Comments just cut to the core at any age but I feel these early years and kids comments are very cruel. Its these comments which motivate her through hours and hours of work on the face.

Latest bloods have shown up a high DHEA-S level but even though its out of range its still considered "normal" for her age and for someone entering puberty apparently. So whys it high? Seems a bit odd to me. Ive insisted on an endo appointment to cover all bases as Im wondering whether that has something to do with the hairiness.

Thanks Dee.

#127409 - 08/08/18 03:49 PM Re: Bad medical advice [Re: Fairygirl]
TSTimmi Offline
Contributor

Sounds like it could be Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome to me, but I'm not a doctor I'm a nurse. I think you should go back to your PCP and get a referral to an endocrinologist. If she does indeed have this, hairiness is not the only problem she could be facing. Conceiving children (in her future obviously) may be more difficult. I don't know if they can make that diagnosis though at her age. Has she started her periods? Birth control pills are often used to help with PCOS and often all that is needed.

#127412 - 08/09/18 05:36 AM Re: Bad medical advice [Re: MrsV]
Fairygirl Offline
Major Contributor

Thanks TSTimmi. That was my non professional dr google diagnosis too. Dr def won't make the call on that yet but I did ask for an endo referral (again). Determined to get to the bottom of this. Cycle as predictable as it can be at 12. I just refuse to accept the hairiness as genetic. There must be an under lying issue here. Very frustrating.

#127413 - 08/09/18 09:24 AM Re: Bad medical advice [Re: MrsV]
The Dowager Offline
Contributor

Hello Fairygirl,
When you take your daughter to the endocrinologist, please remember to
ask him/her about the possibility of 'Cushings Syndrome.'

The internet is amazing: we're strangers on opposite sides of the planet and
I find myself thinking about you and your children.

Best wishes,
The Dowager

#127414 - 08/09/18 08:41 PM Re: Bad medical advice [Re: MrsV]
Fairygirl Offline
Major Contributor

Thanks Dowager.

I appreciate your help.

I'll be leaving no stone unturned so will definitely mention that.

#127570 - 09/01/18 10:33 AM Re: Bad medical advice [Re: MrsV]
TSTimmi Offline
Contributor

Hi Fariygirl,
How is your daughter doing? I wanted to ask you an indelicate question about your daughter's weight. Is she obese or overweight? The reason I ask is there is a strong correlation between insulin resistance and PCOS --Timmi

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
A sterm warning to anyone considering laser hair removal.
by Miamikitty
Yesterday at 08:54 PM
Guidance on after care
by HairByHair
Yesterday at 07:00 AM
Newbie journey
by MrsV
09/19/18 10:54 PM
Best Laser Hair Removal UAE
by Deedra
09/19/18 10:52 PM
Electrologist referral
by Arlene R. Batz, CPE
09/19/18 06:08 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
Deedra 9711
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4158
Michael Bono 3490
Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod